We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

I will be taking a trip to chicago and would like to request assistance with recommendations for places to see, vegetarian places to eat. Have 15 yr and 10 yr old girls with us. There from 6/8 thro 6/12 or 6/13. Navy Pier is one reco by some. Thoughts on it? Also, any nearby observatory, and such would be appreciated and how to create itinerary would be appreciated! Thanks in advance to the community for guidance!

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Chicago Diner is on Halsted--more casual vege. Green Zebra is more high end. Karyn's on Halsted is raw vege.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Native Food Cafe, Karyn's, Chicago Diner are all very good. However, almost all restaurants have vegetarian options in Chicago. Have the 10 and 15 year olds get on the net and do the research for where to go. Let them make the choices. They are probably pretty good at it !

ZB

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Please do some research at www.explorechicago.org for ideas of what to see/do here.

Www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com are good online dining resources. Plenty of veggie friendly dining options here.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

There were three sets of recommendations already. I appreciate all very muhc. Thanks! I will look into it and then throw it out as itinerary draft. Again, thanks a lot!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

These are now the places that we plan for maybe upto three full days. Using a local guide for couple of hours, Hancock Observatory, Navy pier (day 1), Millenium/Grant Park (are same?), Science & Ind Museum, and Boat ride (any recommedations?) for day 2, and whereeve we can fit in Magnificient Mile during one of these two days. Would this itineary be too much? If need be we could stretch for the third day. I plan to have June 10 thro 12 available, but would prefer to come back to KC on June 13. Stay not planned yet and would really prefer to eat only one meal outside to save $. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all of you out there.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

You'll be in the Mag Mile area on the day you visit Hancock & Navy Pier. Consider doing your boat ride from either Navy Pier or http://www.wendellaboats.com/ from Michigan Ave that day.

You need to allow a 1/2 day minimum for the MSI. It's 7 miles south of downtown. Consider doing MSI first thing in the day and hit Millennium and Grant Park on your way back downtown.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Thanks Dave148. Appreciate your insight! Are there other places that you would recommend? My kids may have missed those and wanted to see if you would have any additional recommendations. Again, I appreciate you and all others on this forum for guidance!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Please refer to the links I gave you in my earlier response. Let your kids help with the planning by looking around the websites and come up with some ideas.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

UPDATE: Thanks to all for your input. We did complete our trip to Chicago and it was wonderful. We had a wedding that we attended too. We drove to downtown on Sunday am and parked in the south parking garage by the Millenium Park. The parking is expensive for $28 for the full day. However, we did not take the trolley to ride around and this compensated for the high parking fees. I can tell you that Buckingham Fountain on south end of Millenium Park is beautiful. We could not stay long; however time essence is lost when you stand infront of the fountain with the shore drive and water behind too. Can't remember the name of the other two fountains further north, but they were beautiful with faces of people on them. I tell you that this park was fantastic. Blues festival was on-going too. Grant Park on the other side was ok. BP bridge, Laurie garden, amphitheatre, etc was good. I think we could have spent the full 6 hours there, but could not. If you enjoy parks and can stand some heat, parks are the place to be! Make sure to take sun-screen, lots of water, preferably snacks, that would make the day! Plenty of places to eat around there. If Taste of Chicago is on-going, some foods for taste are good too. We took architectural tour from Wendall Tours; recommend booking ahead for preferred time since they do get booked early. Between the tour, parks, and some walking on Mag Mile, it takes a good day and some. I did not care about mag mile as much, but it is worth walking some. On Monday, we went to Science and Industry museum and took two exhibits: first is Storms movie in omnimax, and the other is U-505 submarine tour. Sub exhibit is free, but to visit the submarine inside is additional $ and worth. We skipped some parts of the museum, but between the two exhibits and various displays, took us complete 7 hours with half hour or less we spent on eating lunch. I would recommend not taking more than two exhibits additional to the museum itself; otherwise you will miss the main museum booths. We also did "dissection of cow eye" for my 10 year old, birthday bash or something which is for Nitrogen uses and you get to eat some ice-cream, and then the explosion/fire display shows within the museum. The day at the museum too is full 8 hours and therefore recommend you show up at the museum before start time of 9.30 am, buy tickets, and be ready to see/enjoy the museum. Good luck to all who visit!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago trip: recommendations on places to visit

Thanks for the follow uo! glad you enjoyed your trip!