We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

architecture boat tour June

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
architecture boat tour June

Hi folks I will be there mid June. Have read comments re CAF vs Wendalla boat tours. I noticed that a lot of the CAF boat tours online are already sold out especially mid afternoon. They are also a lot more expensive than Wendalla. So for a first time visitor should I book ahead and take my chances on the weather?

Thanks

chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: architecture boat tour June

Caf is booked for a reason, are you only here on a weekend?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: architecture boat tour June

You might want to compare your dates to the convention and events schedule (in the Top Questions menu) and see if your time in the City conflicts with a convention or large group of visitors. NeoCon will bring 40,000 attendees plus their families in around the 15th and there are 42,000 conventioneers here a week later. Those people will already have made reservations. Just take an earlier boat.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 20:09
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: architecture boat tour June

s_s is absolutely correct.

I go on the CAF River Cruise at least once every year - and, personally, I prefer the later morning excursions to the afternoon.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: architecture boat tour June

Thanks yes June 12 arrival. someone said there was a convention which was why I got the hotel booked so early. I have Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday there . Thursday is an afternoon Cubs game.

Bakersfield, Ca
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: architecture boat tour June

Just FYI, NeoCon starts on the 11th.

One of the large companies showcasing there also hosts their own "tours" for clients during the show, so that may be another reason why certain companies are sold out during those days.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: architecture boat tour June

They seem only to be sold out for very early cruises. I would actually like to do one the night I get there but appears I guess the light is better mid morning. Of course mid June is close to longest daylight hours.

Bakersfield, Ca
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: architecture boat tour June

I'm not an expert, but the tour we did was in the later afternoon and it was gorgeous out. We enjoyed it very much.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: architecture boat tour June

Thanks Caribelle, it is coming together slowly. I think I will book the 3 day hop on off as it is only a bit more than the one day. My nephew did the Wandella one and liked it. I know Wed is fireworks night too. I have Tues aft, Wed

Thurs am and Friday, Saturday.

My collection of CTA directions is growing

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: architecture boat tour June

IMHO, you'd get better value using the CTA Visitor's Pass. The HOHO bus only takes you to limited sites during limited hours. The CTA Visitor's Pass is for unlimited rides for 24 hours anywhere serviced by CTA - including to/from the airports as well as Wrigley Field.

Also, you are now talking about a night cruise? Ask yourself: What type of architecture can I see then?

IMHO, go on the CAF River Cruise.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 03:15
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: architecture boat tour June

Thanks Chitown, I do have a CTA pass but as someone with a disability I would not be walking around like others. I like a tour and that seemed better for me.

I have decided maybe to do the am tour now maybe Friday. However like some MLB sites they do not let Canadians print off their tickets like US residents very annoying when you have to wait for them by mail and not much time left