We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

Hi again. We are two couples flying in on Wed July 11th 2012. We plan on taking the Blue line from Ohare to Clark/Lake st. and walking to Hotel 71. Each couple has a large suitcase they are sharing with their spouse (so 2 total) and 2 carry on totes, 2 purses and a camera bag. Do you think that is too much to take on the train? I read somewhere there is no luggage racks, can we sit the luggage near us, or in an empty seat. Are trains heading downtown at 7pm normally crowded? SHould we get a cab instead? Also they are on wheels so I dont think it will be a problem schlepping it to the hotel once we are off the train. Thoughts? we are in our 40's pretty fit lol

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,093 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

The blue line originates at ORD. You shouldn't have a problem with your luggage. There isn't dedicated luggage space on the train. You and the other couple might need to split up within the train car because of the luggage. Please don't put your luggage on the seat next to you if the train gets crowded. It will get more crowded as the train heads downtown.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

7pm on a Wednesday shouldn't be too bad. Easiest way is to try and get seats in the back of the car. Usually there is a single seat with a bit of a niche next to it where you can shove the bigger bag slightly out of the way. Put your purses inside of your carry-on and they can fit on your lap. Not extrememly comfortable but fofr $2.50 - worth it

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

Thank you for the replies! We will aim for the back of the car! Worth the savings I am sure!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

We've done this many times. I agree with the above and I'll add that because it originates at O'hare you should have a choice of seats and some time before the train leaves (unless you are running and just make it, in that case you could just wait as another train would leave soon.)

I try to sit at the end of a car that way you have less traffic in front of you. Some seats face front or back, I can't remember and some face the center giving a wider aisle. If I sit in one facing the center I can easily have my big suitcase stand right in front of me not blocking the aisle.

Also anticipate your stop. Getting from a seat to the door with luggage isn't always quick. You won't have a problem.

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

Thanks Rono, that is very helpful! It has been years since I have been to Chicago, I hope we can anticipate our stop ahead of time!!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

There are signs on the trains showing all the stops along the line. Just take a look at them and you can see the stops just before yours.

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

Awesome Thanks!

8. Re: BLue line from Ohare to Hotel 71 luggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:17