We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taste of Chicago?

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Taste of Chicago?

This year the Taste of Chicago is falling on our trip (family/business) to Chicago. It will be me, my husband, and our two young girls. Is it worth it for us to check it out? I just don't know what to expect and don't know if it's more of an "adult" thing or maybe a really expensive thing. We are staying at the Homewood Suites downtown, if its a good idea what would be the best route to take there? Any information about the event at all would be greatly appreciated!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taste of Chicago?

Waste of Chicago: overrated, over priced, over crowded, underwhelming.... this year is supposed to be pared down from previous years..... anyway, it MIGHT be worth checking out for, like a half an hour, if you've never been... but personally, i wouldn't waste time revolving my trip around it....

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,274 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taste of Chicago?

It's fine for a stroll in the afternoon for a late lunch and to catch some music. It can be very hot, crowded and confusing to get around; keep an eye out that your young ones don't stray, and have a meeting place if they are old enough to understand the concept.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taste of Chicago?

Worth checking out for lunch

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taste of Chicago?

It is a free event in the middle of a beautiful park on the lake front. If you want to buy some food; great. If you don't; great.

For Chicagoans it is an opportunity to Taste food from restaurants across the city.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taste of Chicago?

Lots of fun for a weekday lunch. Very crowded on weekends.

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taste of Chicago?

We would actually go on a weekday evening if we did, just as part of sight seeing. My husband and kids will be enjoying the museums during the day while I'm in a training class and then we will just wander around in the evenings. It definitely won't be anything we revolve our trip around :)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,300 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taste of Chicago?

There are some new options at the Taste - including pop-up restaurants. Have fun.

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taste of Chicago?

In the way back past there was great national known music acts for free, interesting food options, and it was crowded but fun. In the recent past - it has been over crowded, not huge draws for bands, over priced undersized servings of items you can get anywhere else in the city or at any other festival. This year they are revamping it, changed the date, changed the size and suppose to put more of a culinary focus on it. If you have time browse through, if you have a packed itinerary don't make time for it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,707 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taste of Chicago?

Welcome back to Chicago. Go to the Park and scope out the taste. See if it interests you. You can always decide to go somewhere else. We've gotten a bit jaded towards it since it's the same old same old every year. For a visitor it would be a first time experience and worth it. TeeKay is right in that it's being revamped this year. It might even be worth a revisit by us blazé cityfolk.

From Homewood - just walk south on Mich Ave. and across the river to Grant Park. Easy.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 16:02
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
653 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taste of Chicago?

Eat on your feet, in the heat, food that is really not so neat, and repeat. There are so many better places to go in Chicago.

ZB