We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 3 days

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 3 days

Wemarrived late on Saturday night....got settled in the condo on east Randolph . We were right across from millinuim park and can see lake Michigan also. On Sunday we road the train to wrigley field to watch the cardinals play the cubs. Great game. The stadium is old but with character. After the game we ate at Lou maltinos. Amazing pizza! Decent price. On Monday we went to field museum and spent about three hours there. To get there we walked thru part of the park and by the lake. We only bought the basic tickets for the field museum and that was plenty for us. After the museum we went back to the condo to relax and eat. Then we took off for mag mile for some shopping and dessert at ghirdelli's. We also bought some popcorn at garrett's. Best popcorn we have ever had. On Tuesday we went to china town.....let's just say it wasn't worth the trip. Not much there. After eating at the condo we went to navy pier. Our boys played mini golf $5 a person) and DH and I people watched. Then we walked down to the very end of the pier for some pictures. After this we headed back toward the condo but decided to stop at the AMC movie theater on the way. The next morning we ate at wild berry resturant. Amazing food and huge portions. Everything I mentioned has individual reviews. All in all a great trip to Chicago .

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,138 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 3 days

Curious what you were looking for in Chinatown that wasn't there. It certainly doesn't compare to New York or SF, but it has everything is should have, lots or shops and restaurants. No rides though.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 3 days

Wasn't looking for rides but did expect it to be bigger and have more shops. More buildings to take pics of. I have been to the one in San Francisco and you are right it doesn't compare to that one at all. I love taking pics on vacation and didn't take hardly any here.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 3 days

I never really understood why people want to go to chinatown in chicago, I guess if they do not have chinese grocery stores where you are from...maybe? It wouldn't be on my top 10 list of things to do in chicago

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 3 days

We only went because our oldest son was told that we should go there by one of his friends. Defiantly wouldn't recommend it.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 3 days

sounds like you had a great trip...

re-chinatown....nothing compared to san fran.... hindsight is 20/20, but if you would have taken the water taxi there, the outing itself might have been more worth it---at least you would've gotten a chicago river cruise out of it...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,345 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 3 days

IMO, As Chinatowns go ours is # 2, just above NYC, Seattle's Int'l Settlement and LA's. I've never found it short on Kodak moments. And I grocery shop there at least once a month. ... just got a new wok at Woks and Things ( great kitchenware). Did you walk into any of the shops or see the bronze zodiac statues in the plaza? Great junk in the dong kee trading co. Give it another chance now that you're familiar with the area.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 3 days

Thanks for the report -- it sounds like you enjoyed most things you did, which is great.

I'm sorry you didn't choose to eat lunch at one of the Chinatown restaurants -- that's my favorite reason to go to Chinatown. (I also like the Woks and Things store, and love the water taxi to Ping Tom park.)

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,138 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 3 days

I'm with SS...I go to Chinatown fairly regularly..my 4 year old son orders crab ragoons and I'm an oyster beef regular...CTown is one of the only places you can get fresh fish (although it breaks my heart to see them smash a tilapia in the head and kill it so I wait outside)...and be still my heart with their bakeries...lushious....and grocery shopping there is wonderful and I pick up almond cookies by the case!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 3 days

for actual, "for real" grocery shopping, I think the places around the arglye red line stop like "Broadway Grocery" are better, have a larger selection and easier to park at. The Chiu Quon Bakery almost under the red line is also better than any I have found in actual chinatown.

10. Re: Trip report 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:17