We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Check Please!

Lytle, TX
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Check Please!

Our family of 5 (kids 14, 10, and 6) will be visiting Chicago next week, From August 9 - August 12. We are staying at the Wyndham Blake. I have worked up an itinerary, and I would greatly appreciate any input you might have to share! Thanks for taking the time to look at this! :) We have already purchased 3 day CTA passes.

Thursday, August 9

• 2 -5 PM – Arrive Chicago by Amtrak

o Take Bus to Hotel (Blake)

• Check out Millennium Park (Splash fountain)

• Lou Malnati's Pizzeria - South Loop - 805 S. State Street, Chicago, IL 60605

• Family Fun Nights

Thursdays, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

June 14, 21, 28

July 5, 12, 19, 26

August 2, 9

Back again this summer for an exclusive Thursday night engagement, the Radio Disney Road Crew keeps the party going. Contests, prizes, music and fun are the hallmarks of this crowd favorite.

PLUS! Save with special Buy One Get One offers on the Ferris wheel and Wave Swinger on Thursdays only. Present the coupons at the ticket booth.

Click here for the Ferris Wheel coupon

Click here for the Wave Swinger coupon

Friday, August 10

• Museum of Science and Industry (Open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)

• Dinner at Ed Debevic's or Exchequer Restaurant & Pub

• Cirque Shaghai? (thought we already bought tickets to this)

• Millenium Park? (aren’t we going there later?)

• Million Dollar Quartet? (Too much to spend)

Saturday, August 11

• Chicago Art Institute?

• 11 AM - Signature Restaurant (lunch)

• Magnificent Mile

• 3pm bike tour

• 4 pm Tea at American Girl (Mom and Allie)

• Navy Pier

• Dinner at Portillo’s?

• 9:15 PM - Board Boat at Navy Pier

Sunday, August 12

• Pick up car and leave Chicago

• Stay at MicroTel in Holland

Bobby's Bike Hike Chicago
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Chicago Architecture Foundation
Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Bike and Roll
Segway Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours
Lytle, TX
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Check Please!

I'm sorry I posted this twice!! Please disregard this one. I was trying to edit the content and somehow accidentally posted it. Ugh!

Lytle, TX
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Check Please!

Again, I apologize for my crazy posts. The other topic that I posted was closed, but it was the one that had the finished product of my itinerary editing.

I would still appreciate it if anyone could take a look at my itinerary above and offer suggestions. I'm sorry for all the extra info that is stuck in there. Those are notes to myself that I was trying to edit out when I accidentally posted it! :/

Thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Check Please!

Since you have children, I would choose Ed Debevics over Exchequer. However, I would choose Exchequer over Lou Malnati's.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Check Please!

Portillos is great be sure to have Italian beef with sweet peppers.

I am a big fan of the Art Institute plan it out ahead of time so the kids don't get bored. Your kids especially daughter will love the miniature rooms in the basement area( think decorated dollhouses from different time periods) see American Gothic( grant woods iconic pitchforked couple) and the Chagall stained glass windows. Maybe the boys will want to see some of the suits of armor,maybe you could expose them ahead of time to some of the Monets and Impressionism ahead of time so they are more excited to see them.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Check Please!

If you choice is between Million Dollar Quartet and Cirque Shanghai, go for Cirque Shanghai. Although it's a very good show, I don't think the kids would enjoy hearing all that old music. If you are looking for tickets for either, check out goldstar.com or hottix.org, I have seen both consistently at 1/2 price all summer. Both are reputable, I've used them frequently over the years.

I was going to ask why you were going back to Navy Pier twice but I'm assuming the cruise is for the fireworks on Saturday. If you arrive at 5pm by Amtrak on Thursday you will not have time to have pizza and get to Navy Pier by 6pm. I guess you could flip those if your kids can wait until after to have dinner.

You might check at the grocery store at the Pepsi cans, I just saw one for the MSI for buy one get one free on general admission. Didn't check the dates though since I had no intention of going.

Portillo's and Lou Malnati's are good choices with kids. I'll withhold my opinion since it's been years since I've been required to take someone to Ed Debevic's but based on recent reviews I've seen the food is still overpriced and mediocre, you are really going more for the atmosphere. If you don't have a clear day, don't bother with the Signature Room for lunch, you could substitute Foodlife which is in Water Tower Place.

And I'll assume that some of you are doing the 3pm bike tour and 2 of you American Girl at 4pm because you won't make both.

6. Re: Itinerary Check Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 04:18