We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

My husband and son are driving to Chicago (from MI) for an event at the Chicago Theatre in late October. Having never driven in downtown Chicago area, and only having visited once (we took the train, then used cabs and buses to get around), are they better off driving in and staying as close as possible to the theatre; or staying out of the downtown area and taking a cab in for the event that night? I've checked, and parking at most hotels is running $30-$40 for the night. I would think cab fare to and from the theatre would be cheaper than $30 from somewhere else, AND they wouldn't have to deal with driving around town. Would love any suggestions/ideas. Thanks in advance!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

They'd be much better staying in The Loop or River North. There are privately-owned garages that are less expensive depending on which hotel they choose. Search for parking on this forum.

The closest hotels outside downtown are near O'Hare, Midway or in the Skokie/Evanston area. A cab from either airport is going to run about $30-40 each way.

There are a few hotels in the Lakeview neighborhood about 4 miles north of downtown, but they would still have to pay for parking as most streets are restricted to residents only.

Once they reach the city, they should park the car and leave it until they depart. They can purchase passes that allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. A 1-day pass is $5.75 and a 3-day pass is $14. Passes are available at most Walgreens and CVS stores around the city.

Edited: 05 August 2012, 21:21
chicago
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

Get a hotel from hotwire.com, pick river north, mag mile or loop, park the car on arrival and leave it there

You can't get out of paying to park

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

Thank you very much for the advice! From reviews I've just read, I'm thinking Best Western River North might be the place for them. Appreciate the input!!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

I like the Hotwire idea if your at all familiar with it. Not sure what the retail rates will be then, however, If your staying one night, maybe not too bad. If you get a decent discount on Hotwire, then to me, it pays for the parking... some like priceline too... have not used that service... for me....... I would consider any of the following, ( but certainly not limited to) say Hotel Allegro (parking across the street), Renaissance Chicago Hotel on Wacker, or the Hyatt Regency, (parking expensive at the hotel), but others say parking reasonable over at Millennium Park... if its just for one night, I kinda like the idea of being closer to the Theater. Getting a cab after the show can be a real challenge when everyone wants one. Weather still decent enough to walk back to the hotel if you have to. Although, the Red Line isn't too far away, and the buses are running also, so ... you have those options if you find a hotel not too far off that line.... its just a matter of comfort, convenience, cost... personal preference... blah blah... .lol..

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

Stay in the city, park the car and forget it until you leave. Any River North, Loop or Streeterville hotel is within walking distance of the Chicago Thtr. Anywhere from across the street to a 1/2 hour walk. staying in the Burbs is an hour away by train and you have to get a hotel near a train station. Silly.

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

Well, thanks to everyone for the suggestions!! It is really appreciated, especially since we are not familiar with Chicago...or city life! I was wondering, since there are suggestions to get a hotel close (within 1/2 hour walk) to the theatre, is this a relatively safe neighborhood? My son and husband would be by themselves, and the show doesn't start until 8pm, so will be getting out late. Still safe to walk less than 1/2 mile at night? I remember going to Chicago with a group of girls and walking a bunch of bars, but that was years ago and there was a bigger group. Thanks for any input!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

The Loop and River North neighborhoods are fine. About the worst they may encounter is some street people who are panhandling.

But as anywhere, they should be use common sense and be aware of what or who is around them. Your son (or husband, for that matter) should not walk around with his nose buried in a smart phone or similar electronic device as they have made people the target of robberies recently.

8. Re: Should we stay near Chicago Theatre for event?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 07:17