We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at night or early am (5am)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Walking at night or early am (5am)

If we want to walk back from Navy Pier or Millenium Park/Grant Park or Aviary to Mag Mile North area to the hotel late at night, should we be OK? Just two of us and we'll have our camera in tow. Am I safe to assume that you just have to be aware of surroundings, etc. Is there any part of the city where it can be questionable? Same goes if we want to go for an early morning stroll?

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,425 reviews
from US$43.68*
Best Seller
Chicago Crime and Mob Bus Tour
392 reviews
from US$37.95*
Best Seller
Skydeck Chicago Admission
578 reviews
from US$24.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
165 reviews
from US$75.00*
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

I'm not sure where you are staying but generally, if it's light out, you should be okay. And it's light out at 5am. Michigan Avenue is always active, traffic, lights, etc so you should be fine. Navy Pier itself is fine, but getting too and from Navy Pier, can involve areas that are not populated at that hour, overpasses, etc, depending on your route. Of course, be careful walking late at night if you have been drinking, and also be careful if you are female.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,378 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

The OP is staying at the Sax. You'll be fine walking in the early morning. As in any other major city - common sense prevails.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

Yes, Sax. We'll be at Aviary late night. I am thinking we might need to cab it or we'll have a CTA bus pass. Is that fairly safe? We'll have camera in tow.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,479 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

I have no idea what you would be doing out walking around in the wee hours but it's your visit. I walk River North area all the time - dawn til 1:am. The areas you name should be safe. Even the panhandlers should be asleep at 5:00am. The Sax is on the south end of tourist central and north of the Theatre District so there will be people around until the bars close. However, your city smarts will have to be unimpared. If you are coming back from the Aviary in Fulton Market after dark - take a cab. I don't think that even Vatican City is safe at 5:00am.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

Agree with SS. Take a taxi. We would at that time of the day down there. It is very dark still at 5 AM.

ZB

chicago
Level Contributor
8,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

No bus from aviary to sax, you could take the green line but that's a bad idea especially after drinking

Take a taxi if you have any money left after aviary lol

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

I didn't know the Avairy is opened until 5.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

3am

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

LOL Aviary at 1ish; early morning (another time) for a walk at 5am versus going to the gym.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking at night or early am (5am)

I really wouldn't worry about walking back to your hotel or anywhere in the loop pretty much anytime day or night. I used to bartend and spent a good portion of my time being up and about between 2-7am. As other people said, don't be stupid and if you are drunk, take a cab. If your not drunk and the weather is nice, a stroll back to the hotel or around the area is great. Go watch the sun rise over the lake, it's a great way to start or end your day.