We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

Connecticut
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

I need to get my elderly parents from the Rockford airport to the Essex Inn for our daughter's wedding. Do you know of an easy way for them to get there other than by bus? It would be nice if I could have a car pick them up at the airport to take them directly to the hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,269 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

I have no idea why your parents would fly into Rockford but, obviously, they are. Is it too late for them to fly into Midway, O'Hare or even Milwaukee (Amtrak's Hiawatha Service trains serve the Milwaukee airport to Chicago) ? You will have to rent a car and go out to get them. It's a 2+ hour drive in each direction.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

Call Smart Car. They can arrange to pick up your parents at the Rockford airport. You don't need to go get them yourself. http://www.smartcarsinc.com/

The drive from downtown Chicago to the Rockford airport is about an hour and a half, assuming there isn't too much traffic. I drive that way regularly.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

It's a wonder more people don't make the same mistake - they've dubbed the place "Chicago-Rockford" airport. Here is a list of limo and taxi services. http://www.flyrfd.com/transportation.html You should be able to prearrange something. Depending on the time of day, the ride could be 1.5 to 3 hours.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 17:26
Connecticut
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

Thank you for your suggestions. They are very helpful.

5. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 20:05
Edited: 23 March 2013, 20:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

I assume people fly there because they found a good fare, but I agree it's really far out. If you were going to Schaumburg or Elgin or somewhere northwest and were going to rent a car anyway, it might be practical to fly into Rockford, but as an option for downtown Chicago, it would have to be very inexpensive to make up for the ground transportation costs into the city.

An hour and a half without traffic is theoretically possible, but in practice will almost never happen. If you hit it wrong, one and a half hours from O'hare into the hotel is very normal, and the Rockford airport is a good hour from O'Hare.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,493 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

wes - this post was resurrected with spam which was deleted yesterday. No need to re-hash it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

Missed the date on the original one, thanks.

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

The only door-to-door service in Rockford is Transit Van Shuttle www.transitvanshuttle.com

10. Re: Transportation from Rockford Airport to Downtown Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 05:35