We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls

I've always paid them in cash, but with an anticipated increase of visits over the next 6 months I think I should get prepaid. I haven't really paid attention to the signs but as someone coming to the city from MI and using the IN tollroad and skyway (primarily) which one should I look into ipass ezpass izoom? I don't know the difference.

Also do you know if any of them have reciprocity with sunpass in Florida? I looked at ez and ipass and didn't see any mention.

Any info appreciated and thanks in advance.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 21:35
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,430 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls

I-pass and ez-pass are interchangeable. https://www.getizoom.com/aboutIzoom.do;jsessionid=C3914966887388769995DD9B32EF062B

No EZ-Pass compatible transponders will work in Florida.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls

I have an IPass, there is a 3 cents surcharge every time I go through an Indiana toll booth and also the Chicago Skyway . The toll for the Skyway is 3.53 with an IPass, cash is 3.50, that's the only toll booth that does not have a discounted rate with any Pass as far as I know. It does save a lot of time though as they seem to have cut the cash lanes down to one or two. But it doesn't cut the cash fare.

If you are using primarily in Indiana it might be slightly cheaper (3 cents per ride) to get the IZoom, it doesn't appear that I Zoom charges the 3 cent surcharge when used in Illinois. I may have to get one for our 2nd car and see what it charges in comparison.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
637 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls

I think you will find I Pass is the best one for you if you do not use it very much. I Pass replenishes $10 at a time and EZ Pass is $40 at a time so you end up with more money just sitting there with EZ Pass. Otherwise, the two are equivalent. You can buy them on line.

ZB

chicago
Level Contributor
8,576 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls

Interesting, I always wondered why that toll was such an odd amount

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls

The 3 cents is something to do with more people buying the I Pass and using it in Illinois than those buying an IZoom and using it in Illinois. Illinois felt they weren't getting their fare share, not unlike when they eliminated reciprocity for income taxes.

My Ipass replenishes at $40, maybe I set it at that because I use the Skyway a lot, $7 per trip adds up really fast.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls

You will never go back to paying cash after getting that device.......loveeeee flying thru those toll plazas with the I-pass........

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls

Who is getting the 3 cent surcharge? Illinois or Indiana? There is a class action suit possibility here against the state that does this: about not informing ipass users that they will be charged more than the cash toll. The terms of ipass agreement do not spell out this surcharge. Discrimination against ipass users????

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls

It sounds like Illinois is getting it, they are charging IPass customers a 3 cent surcharge when they go through Indiana toll booths and the Skyway, which is leased by a foreign company, maybe they get the extra 3 cents.

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
715 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls

Actually, the minimum replenishment amount for I-PASS is (also?) $40. "The replenishment amount will be the greater of the average monthly I-PASS account expenditure or $40."

I didn't mind that when I was commuting by car and paying 4-6 tolls a day. Now I work downtown, ride Metra and use the tollway only occasionally, so the $40 is kind of excessive. I wish it were more like the CTA "Gold Card" that can replenish automatically $10 or $20 at a time.

10. Re: Tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:17