We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McCormick Place

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
55 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
McCormick Place

What's my best bet for getting into the city from the Hyatt @ McCormick?

I'm considering either taking a cab to Cermak/ Chinatown Station, taking the #21 Bus to that station, or taking the #3 Bus up towards MI Ave...I feel like taking the #3 Bus is going to take forever and have a bunch of stops...oh and I guess there's also the option of the Metra Rail...

Then there's also the reverse trip back to the hotel after a late dinner or cocktails.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,065 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McCormick Place

It depends on your destination downtown. Late at night -take a cab back to your hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McCormick Place

Take a taxi. Hyatt McPlace is isolated.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
55 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McCormick Place

Hotel to Willis Tower.

Hotel to the Bedford.

Hotel to the Peninsula Hotel.

Hotel to Piece Brewery.

Those are kind of the areas that ill need to get to directly from hotel. The rest of the places I am going, looks like I can just use the El to get around.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 17:22
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McCormick Place

Take a taxi. Are you at a convention down there or did you just get a cheap rate? They have cheap rates when there is no convention because the majority of visitors don't want to stay there. It's not a tourist hotel. It has it drawbacks.; bad location being the biggest of them. The Cermak stop on the Red Line is fine but only during the day and it's a bit of a walk through desolate streets. Ask the concierge at the hotel for the bus info between the hotel and the Red LIne. Everything you mention is in a different (and better) neighborhood.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McCormick Place

I looked back on your post tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k588883… because I thought your question was recent. When you told us that your hotel was McPlace Hyatt Linneybird and Zabriskibound both told you not to stay down there.

Can you change your hotel? Let your BF take a taxi or transit to his test and get a hotel downtown in a better location (Loop or River North).

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
55 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McCormick Place

The only reason we are staying at Hyatt McCormick is because my boyfriend's testing center for the CFA is there. Now he only needs to travel to the testing center once, but he thought it more convenient. (That's a male brain for you)..of course..no offense! I'm just saying, I wasn't asked for Input on where we should stay...so now we have a long haul to go anywhere and we will be making that same haul to at least get north.

Ya it doesn't look like a nice walk to get to Cermak..especially at night. I'll probably either cab it to that station or take the bus to that station.

I'm just curious how long it would take to ride the #3 bus to say Millenium park area...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,065 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McCormick Place

The trip planner on the homepage of www.transitchicago.com will give you commuting times and options.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,717 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: McCormick Place

The Bedford and Piece are both far via taxi (ie expensive). I would take a cab from the Hotel to the nearest blue line. Get off at Division and you can walk to the Bedford. From the Bedford, you can either get back on Division blue line to the next stop, Damen and that is where Piece is. Or, take a taxi from Bedford to Piece for $5.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
609 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: McCormick Place

To make it plain...McCormick Place is isolated, lonely and at night or even during the day if there is no convention, a tad where you as a woman by yourself and a visitor too should not be walking around . Heed the advice and take a taxi to busier areas.

ZB

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: McCormick Place

Metra will take you from McCormick Place to Millenium Park. You can walk to the station from your hotel without going outside.