We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood to stay?

Troy, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood to stay?

Hi, A friend and I are coming to Chicago this year for a long weekend. I'm looking for recommendations on neighborhoods - Wikipedia says Chicago has 200 neighborhoods!! - where we should stay. We want to rent an apartment. It should be affordable (under $200/nt), and within walking distance (up to 15 minute walk) from trains, restaurants, shops, museums/theaters/parks. I've done some research, but just don't want to end up staying in a business district where everything shuts down after 5pm.

Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,931 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Mag Mile, River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast are best from a visitor's perspective.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…chicago

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
632 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Renting apartments for under a week may not be as economical as a hotel deal on hotels.com or hrs.com etc. I would add Lincoln Park and Old Town to the neighborhoods, although Dave's list is more central and that is why he chose these neighborhoods. You do not need to worry about Chicago shutting down at night. It just gets going at 1030.

ZB

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,931 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Though some of us are in bed by 10:30 :.)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,122 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Renting a short term apartment may not be legal in Chicago.. There is a new city ordinance that makes apartment rentals under one month not legal.

Yes, there are many neighborhoods in chicago: some of which you will want to stay well out of.

Look at River North, Streeterville, Lincoln Park if you want to stay up late. Dave's right: most residential neighborhoods close down much earlier.

You'll get a better deal at a suites hotel in river north.

The neighborhoods are easily accessable from downtown via public transit.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 15:45
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Add Lincoln Park, Old Town, Lakeview and South Loop (Museum Campus) to Dave's list. The farther out you get, the closer you want to be to the train lines for fast access to downtown.

chicago
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

I'll chime in and add Wicker Park as a hood to consider. It has a cool vibe with restaurants,bars and shops. It stays open late on the weekends. You'll be a 10 min "el " ride from downtown.

Troy, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

shallow - can you give me more information, perhaps a link to the new ordinance? I did a very small amount of research online and am not finding anything.

GV
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Not sure you are still looking but the info on the ordinance is not true. We have a apartment we rent for less than 30 days and we just need to pay Hotel Tax to the city. Chicago certainly isn't going to turn down any money from us renting our apartment.

We are in Old Town and it is tons of fun, Wells street has lots of bars and restaurants and the El is close by. I would add it to your list of neighborhoods.

florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

where do you have your apartment for 1 week rental. we are looking for at least 3 bed rooms / 2 bath.

Craigslist is full of fake scam artists

GV
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighborhood to stay?

Our place is in Old Town, but we only have one bedroom. Sorry!