We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

Is admission free for children under 3 at the Fields and Science and Industry museums as well as Shedds? I see where they have ticket prices listed for 3 and over...but no mention of 2 and under being free.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,561 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

Based on your description - two and under would be free. When in doubt, call or email the museum to verify.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

personally, i don't think an under 3 year old would be old enough to appreciate the field and MSI---save those museums for when he/she gets older and can fully appreciate them... of the 3 museums you mentioned, the shedd. i would say, would be the best .... but, for a kid that age, the children's museum at navy pier might be the most appropriate...

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

I disagree that a three year old won't appreciate various museums. Certainly, he doesn't appreciate the way an older child, or an adult will, but I take my 4 year old son to various museums, and he does get alot out of it. I recently took him to the Surgical Science Museum on LSD. He loved looking at the instruments, the pictures. And he drew alot of his own conclusions to what was going on. He saw a picture of a guy having an operation and he processed it that the guy fell down and was getting a band aid. He kept making his own little observations which was really good. I think the Children's Museum is really great, but I find it more of an indoor playground that he just runs around in. And that's fine, but other museums can add to development.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

She'll be a couple months shy of 3 when we go, and from watching Night at the Museum and her love of animals....she is constantly talking about seeing the dinosaur, lions, elephant, etc... in "Chigaga" (Chicago). So I think we're good. She won't take as much from it as a child older than her, but I have no doubt she'll enjoy it. May skip the Science and Industry museum though. And more than anything...mom and dad are looking forward to a family getaway that doesn't just involve a week of the beach and pool.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

If you do visit the Field Museum, make sure too check out the downstairs level. There is a children's play lab . They can do art work, play dress up as animals, dig for dinosaur fossils, and play instruments. It's a medium sized area, but enough activities to keep them busy. There is also a big family restroom with a small toliet and big toliet, step stool for washing hands..

Museum of science and industry does have neat things for young children.

They have a big water play area- you can splash things, feed colorful balls through tubes. There is huge miniature train display with trains running through miniature displays of the city of Chicago. Kids can watch a big live tornado form, climb and sit in an airplane , see live baby chicks hatch, climb a huge tractor , milk a cow....

I've taken my children since they were 2 to both museums and they loved it.

Also do check out the childrens museum at Navy Pier.......

Plenty of activities there as well.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

Don't forget the nature museum

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

Windycity...thanks for the additional insight on the field museum for little ones. We'll be sure to head downstairs.

Msmejkal... In my many trips to Chicago, I had never heard of the nature museum. Looks like it could be fun, and close the the Lincoln Park zoo. May be our (hopefully) sunny day thing to do.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

the nature museum and zoo is a great combo, my 3 year old loves the nature museum and its really never crowded like the other museums

she enjoys all of the museums

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

The nature museum is fun, but also very small compared to MSI or the Field, which is why it does not get as much publicity or as many crowds. It is just across the street from the zoo, so the two together make for a nice day.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museums with daughter just under 3 years old

got grandkids that age & a little older....you can't go wrong with the zoo...and it is FREE!! the nature museaum is awesome...and don't forget the conservatory....also free and kids just love roaming the paths...

childrens museaum on the pier is cool....just NO security for the kids....they can roam away so if she wanders you might want the "monkey on your back" or something like that...

I'm saving the other museaums for when they're older...there are so many kids museums in the chicago area you never run out of them...but agree each has an area that is a focus for little guys....