We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

schaumburg elk grove hotel

norwich
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
schaumburg elk grove hotel

we will be staying in chicago from september 14 to 17 .we have been looking to stay at the days inn its a good price . the question .is the public transport very good to get to downtown to see the city also is the area safe we will have a car but is parking a problem

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,489 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

The topic of your post is confusing. Are you staying in Schaumburg or Elk Grove? Or are you referring to the Days Inn in Chicago?

If it's Schaumburg or Elk Grove, commuting downtown via public transit is not convenient. Since you'll have a car - check rates at http://www.rivernorthhotel.com/ - only hotel downtown with free parking.

Check rates at the Hampton Inn in Skokie, IL. Free parking, breakfast and indoor pool. A 10 minute drive to the CTA yelow line train station. You'll get downtown in about 45-60 minutes.http://www.transitchicago.com/default.aspx

norwich
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

sorry for confusing things the name of the hotel is the days inn schaumburg elk grove i found it on hotels .com i will have a look at the hotels you suggested thanks

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,489 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

You don't want to spend a significant amount of time during your brief visit here commuting between downtown and Schaumburg - Elg Grove area.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

The area is safe but far from downtown. Public transportation will be hard. Try to stay downtown or at least closer in. All the hotels on Rosemount/ ohare area are at least close to public transportation. But staying downtown in the mag mile area is a lot more convenient.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

second the skokie suggestion.

elk grove/schaumburg is a far-flung, sprawling suburban wasteland.... there is a small, penned elk herd in elk grove which might be interesting, but other than that, it's lame....

norwich
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

the difference in the price of hotels is the big thing elk grove seems very cheap we will only be going into chicago on the monday we will be at the speedway on sunday

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,489 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

Now that we have all of the facts - for one day commuting downtown is not a big deal. Drive in and park at http://www.millenniumgarages.com/ or consider reserving parking with http://spothero.com/

Edited: 04 March 2013, 20:46
norwich
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

thanks for your help

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

In your case look at the METRA (train). Chicagoland is a huge area and your far from downtown frankly. Chicago the city is just part of the WHOLE chicago land area. The TRAIN services the far out cities. It has a fixed schedule, (unlike the CTA El) but its just fine if you plan accordingly. Very comfortable. On a Monday, you dont really wanna drive downtown, not as a first itmer anyway... on a saturday or sunday, with a GPS unit in the car, much easier. We love that area your in. The statement its a wasteland is very misleading for you. I very much disagree with that statement. Arlington heights, Schaumburg are terrific cities to visit, and easy to get around, good motel choices, especially for driving. Its not the best area to stay if your primarily going downtown, so for most tourists, it isnt practical. We love that area out there when we visit. Some amazing restaurants out that way. Elk Grove Village has some great motel options like you said. But its not limited to those cities. All those towns around 290/90 are nice. Especially if thats the area you want to spend your time.

Anyway, There are METRA stations in out that way, I've used the Arlington Heights one before. Its nice. You will have to check on where visitors park during the week. Weekends its more relaxed. On a monday, there are commuters taking the train to work. No doubt someone will let us know if I have it wrong on the parking. But there are areas to park. Anyway, You take this METRA train downtown, end of the line is at Union station or Olgivie nearby... once your off the train, go out from there. Taxi, bus. In your case, take a taxi, saves time. Michigan Ave is a big attraction but there are many attractions. It all takes time and Monday is going to be busy day. You will know what time you have to be back to the train station and get your ride back to your car. So you plan accordingly. Its fun actually. I didn't go into the CTA but that is an option. Park maybe at Cumberland station, (large car park) and take the El (subway) downtown. there is a learning curve to all this. Personally, its more set up for locals that already know the systems, but there are signs and directions, you just have to be patient. Id check it out where to park over the weekend ahead of time and you will be less stressed on Monday. Either way, plan 2 hours one way from the time you leave your motel, to the time you arrive at your destination. Its all HURRY UP AND WAIT, I like to say lol....... but that would work.

you said speedway... hmmmm... NASCAR? or the Horse races... I thought the Horses, because there is a huge track in Arlington Heights.. but maybe you meant the NASCAR speedway... which off the top of my head, is farther out, but never been there. Enjoy and have fun.

norwich
Level Contributor
68 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: schaumburg elk grove hotel

the plan is arrive sat pm pick up car go to hotel then wallmart to to get a few things we will need . find a resturant then sleep

sun nascar

mon visit some of the sights of chicago

tue head south