We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

My husband and I will be in town in October for the Chicago Marathon. Last year we stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker, but this year I've promised my husband we'll stay somewhere cheaper. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel with easy access to an El or Metra stop that will get us easily to (near) Grant Park? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago Marathon
Chicago Marathon
16 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Grant Park
Grant Park
795 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Viceroy Chicago
Viceroy Chicago
#5 of 197 hotels in Chicago
Ace Hotel Chicago
Ace Hotel Chicago
#3 of 197 hotels in Chicago
The Guesthouse Hotel
The Guesthouse Hotel
#4 of 197 hotels in Chicago
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,440 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Most hotels downtown are close to a CTA station. Play with the mapping feature at www.hotels.com

You'll want to book a reservation now. Downtown hotels will fill up for that weekend. Consider Hotwire or Priceline.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,358 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Forget Metra: that's suburban. Anywhere downtown: River North, The Loop, Streeterville, "Mag Mile", Lincoln Park... will work. However, don't delay. If you wait too long you will find that the hotels fill up and prices skyrocket. The reason you found the Hyatt expensive was because of the marathon participants and their friends/family fill all the available hotel rooms. Room rates go up the more people there are in town. The Marathon weekend is a sell-out.

Mentioned in this post
The Loop
The Loop
1,088 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park
715 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Yep, all the Chicago hotels I've looked into are really high that weekend. Even the Red Roof Inn is charging $250 (which is more than we paid for the Hyatt last year). That's why I included the Metra - my cheap-o husband wants to stay further out and take the train in race morning to save money. I don't think it's worth the hassle, but I seem to be losing the battle on this one. Problem is, I don't know how to find a suburban hotel that's near a Metra line, and I really don't want to drive in on race morning. Too much extra stress that way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Chicago Diner
The Chicago Diner
146 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Look at City Suites Chicago by the Belmont El Stop or Days Inn LIncoln Park by the Diversey Brown Line stop. They have rooms for under 200. But hurry!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,440 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Hilton Garden Inn in Evanston gives you CTA and Metra access downtown.

Also check the Hampton Inn and Doubletree in Skokie. Both are close to the CTA yellow line train station.

Mentioned in this post
Evanston
Evanston
Illinois
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

"... But hurry!" I love that! :) I'm looking right now - and thanks for the tips!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

And congrats to your husband for getting in this year! What a mess! I'll see him at the start line!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

No luck :( Days Inn is sold out and the Chicago City Suites is more expensive than some of the closer hotels. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Mentioned in this post
The Chicago Diner
The Chicago Diner
146 Reviews
Chicago, IL
City Suites Hotel
City Suites Hotel
583 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

Oh yeah, we were both super lucky to get in! It took me about 90 minutes of constantly trying to get myself registered, then another 30 minutes to get him registered. My sister-in-law, who ran it with me last year, didn't make it in before they shut down registration, so she's entered in the lottery. Crossing our fingers she gets in! And congrats to you too! I knew it would fill up quickly this year, but still didn't expect the problems that occurred. What a mess!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Near El or Metra Stop

http://www.rubyroom.com/inn/

Bed and Breakfast that would work. Rooms are under 200.

Best of luck!