We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

We have a 17 year old son who wants to attend the concert with 3-4 other boys, who are ages 16-18. We live in Indianapolis and aren't sure we are going to allow him to attend, but wanted to get some facts first before we decide. The 18 year old will drive them up and has driven to Chicago both alone and with his parents, and he seems to know his way around fairly well.

Can anyone tell me about hotels or hostels close to Grant Park? Are there places that would allow teens 18 and under to stay or even to get a hotel room if they are not 21 or don't have someone 21 and over with them?

My son saw a hostel advertised on lollapalooza.com that was $30 a night, however when I looked at it, it said very clearly that anyone under 18 years of age must have an adult with them. Would the 18 year old be considered an adult?

I offered (half-kiddingly) to go along and be the adult in charge of them all, and was met with a horrified look by my son and his 16 year old buddy. They informed me that part of the reason they wanted to go was for the "Freedom aspect".

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

Me again. Can someone tell me what area of the city Grant Park is in? Every website I visit to look at hotels asks what area of the city.

Thanks.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

I believe you have to be 21 and over to check into all hotels (and hostels) downtown.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

Grant Park is downtown in the loop area.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

http://www.hichicago.com/

The HI hostel would be in an excellent location for them and gets good reviews. You can call them directly to ask if the 18 year old would be considered an acceptable adult for the others to be accompanied by.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

Thanks for your help.

I've also been looking at campgrounds, but not seeing any. Can anyone tell me if camping is allowed in the parks in Chicago?

thanks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,487 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

Camping is not allowed in Chicago parks. There are no nearby campgrounds. The closest campgrounds are in the far suburbs.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

That's what I figured! Thanks, Dave.

8. Re: 4 teens at Lollapalooza concert at Grant Park August 4-6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 21:17