We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

Orlando
Level Contributor
379 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

Looking for a finer dining experience for one night. I've scoured TA, opentable, and chowhound and decided on MK. Seems to get solid reviews, but I know there are *better* options out there.

Here's my problem: DH is a picky eater. Like, mega max to the 10th power picky meat and potatoes dude. I'm not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love good food and fine dining and will eat or try anything. DH is a doll and will go with the flow of whatever I like, but for me to enjoy the experience, I like to make sure he has a good experience, also.

Any other restaurants we should consider? We aleady have lunch resies at Cafe Spiaggia.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

Look at this site for other options.

http://www.lthforum.com

Eating out in Chicagoland is the forum you'd want.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

Cruising around LTH is a good option.

Can you be a bit more specific as to your dining requirements?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

I prefer Chicago Cut Steakhouse

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

Chicago has over 100 steakhouses (see reviews on TA Restaurants) 36 of them in River North alone. You can go crazy asking for opinions and sorting out the answers. You made a choice of a new, top end, famous name place. Enjoy it.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 16:40
Orlando
Level Contributor
379 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

I was trying to veer away from traditional steak houses (DH's fav, of course) because we can do that anytime and satisfy my desire for a nice dining experience w/ maybe a tasting menu w/ pairings for me, and an a la carte steak option for DH.

I think I'll take shallows advice and stick w/ MK.

Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

…cbslocal.com/top-lists/…

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

My experience with MK has always been good. You will get many opinions. MK is just fine. There are others better, others worse. This is a city of restaurants and foodies. If you are going to choose just one, then MK is not a bad place to start.

ZB

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

Skip the steakhouses. Those are everywhere throughout the country. Like the PP said MK is fine. If you give us an idea of budget maybe we could offer more options. Having someone who doesn't like to eat more than meat and potatoes will be a real issue in most of Chicago fine dining.

B.

Orlando
Level Contributor
379 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

"Having someone who doesn't like to eat more than meat and potatoes will be a real issue in most of Chicago fine dining."

Don't I know it! LOL

Hmm, as far a budget, we are comfy with around $200-$250. DH is not much of a wine drinker, but does enjoy good cocktails. I enjoy wine very much, so wine pairings are a nice option for me :-) I would hate to spend that much though, and DH not have an enjoyable meal. He doesn't eat veggies and likes his food pretty simple. Cafe Spiaggia and MK are definitely for me, and then I'll find a nice pub for him ;-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MK The Restaurant-did I make a good choice?

MK is a good choice. I was there a couple years ago and really enjoyed the food and service.

Another option I'd like to throw out is Bavette's Bar and Boeuf. Definitely one of Chicago's top restaurants. And since your husband likes cocktails, Bavette's make excellent whiskey cocktails. The vibe of Bavette's is like a 1930s speakeasy...vintage and sexy. The menu has some classic items like steak and potatos and Bavette's turns it into a more contemporary-yet-classic (if that even makes sense) take. It's a very popular place so if you do go, be sure to make advance reservations.

Here's the website: http://bavetteschicago.com/

Edited: 25 March 2013, 18:33