We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak near the mile...

Detroit, MI
6 posts
Save Topic
Steak near the mile...

What are my best bet's for steaks near the MM? My wife and I love a good steak, but would like to keep the budget somewhat in check. Is it worth it to spend the extra $50 or so to go to Morton's or Lowry's or do you have any cheaper places that are just as good?

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak near the mile...

First, avoid Lawry's. The food quality has seriously declined in the past few years. It used to be a great place. Now it is pretty bad. I would consider it barely acceptable. The staff has gone downhill tremendously. The staff definitely seems like they could not possibly care less about you and your meal. If I was dragged there by someone I would go, but I would never choose to go there.

Instead, take a look at Chicago Chop House, Keefer's, or Capital Grille. All offer a much better experience. Chicago Chop House is the most "Chicago" of the group, but I actually prefer the food at Keefer's or Capital Grille.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak near the mile...

Lowry's is OK. However it is just Prime Rib.

It all just depends on what you want. Good atmosphere, Good Steak, or Lots of Steak.

For Lots of Steak, I would try Fogo de Choa or Sal y Carvao. They are a few blocks of Michigan. They are Charcussa/Brazillian steakhouses.

For good steak, there are a lots of choices. I would try Gibsons, The Chop House, Rosebud Steakhouse, The Capital Grill, and Gene and Georgetti. Yum...I am getting hungry while thinking about it. And, besides the Capital Grill, they are all local. Wildfire and Weber Grill are probably a tier 2 steakhouse. Both are good but probably not as good as the forementioned.

For Scenery, try Smith and Lowensky (sp?). It in the Marina City complex and has seats along the river. Japonais has an Asia feel, but offers a great combo of food (one of the places where the beautiful people hang out at). I believe Bandera over Michigan ave serves Steak. It has a great view of Michigan Ave and usually some good live Jazz music. Also, you might try the park grill.

Detroit, MI
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak near the mile...

Lot's of options so far, however I am going to try to get them narrowed down. My wife and I are both open for change, but the odds are good that I will order a 16+ ounce Prime Rib and she will order Filet or Ribeye or possibly Prime Rib. She does sometimes order different specialties if the waiter/waitress can talk her into it.

Anyway, it will be our anniversary dinner and since we are from out of town we were hoping to have it a little bit nicer of a restaurant.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak near the mile...

I would second the Chop House then. Can't go wrong there!

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak near the mile...

For a steak house, Chop House is reasonably priced. Also, it is one of the few places that has been here for a long time, and feels like it in a good way. It is what a Chicago steak house should be. Gibson's is good, but the atmosphere of 50 year old traders hitting on 22 year olds takes away from the experience. That being said, both places will provide a good meal.

The issue also might come down to where you are staying, Closer to the river -- Chicago Chop House (on Ontario). North towards Oak Street -- Gibson's. Both are in great neighborhoods where you can be comfortable walking around at almost any hour.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steak near the mile...

We ate at the Chicago Chop House and highly recommend it. Just be sure to bring your appetite. You can make a reservation on line through their website.

Illinois
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steak near the mile...

The Chicago Chop House does have good beef and a nice atmosphere however the rest of the menu, apps, salads, sides are very average at best. It is less expensive than Morton's, Gibson's, or the New York based, Smith and Wollensky. Morton's has two locations. I prefer the newer one in the loop. I agree with DLewin's assessment of Gibson's. Although you will pay a premium, (on par with the above mentioned) I reccommend the New Orleans born, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at 431 N Dearborn. It will be busy. It will be pricy. It will be the best filet you've ever eaten. Atmosphere is nice, service is great, and ALL of the food is excellent. They also have a solid wine list. Go to www.Ruthschris.com for menu/info

Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steak near the mile...

I was wondering why no one had mentioned Ruths Chris. I love the way they serve the filet with the hot butter and their chopped salad. I'v never been to the Chicago location but hope to get there next week. Any reason I shouldn't?

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Steak near the mile...

Re Ruth Chris: Because it is a chain.

Why come to Chicago for something you can get just as good somewhere else?

The Chop House, Keefer's and Gibson's are all Chicago orginals and are only here. Morton's started here although it expanded..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
93 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steak near the mile...

I live in Chicago and there are so many great steakhouses here. One of our favorite ones is just a couple blocks from the Mag Mile. It is the Saloon. It is an upscale place and the steaks are heavenly.

Saloon Steak House

(312) 280-5454

(312) 280-6980

(312) 280-6986

200 E Chestnut St

Chicago, IL 60611