We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

Michigan
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

I am planning on staying near Michigan Ave for a shopping trip. I have never made it off the Magnificant Mile. Is it worth it to go over to Carson Pirie Scott? Can we walk from say, Nordstroms? I am wondering about distance and safety. Also, is it safe to walk from Nordstrom to Ruths Chris? I hate taxi cabs. I don't mind paying but I hate the way some of those guys drive. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Nordstrom
Nordstrom
110 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

At most hours safety is only a minor concern. I might be on the lookout more at 2:00 a.m., but otherwise it is fine. Keep your eyes open always, but it is about as safe as it gets.

The only real concern is pickpockets, which you see in any city. Watch your purse or wallet. My other concern, and I have no basis in fact for this, is the lower Michigan/lower Grand/lower Illinois area. I would avoid walking down there after dark, largely because you are separated from most traffic. I drive down there pretty often after dark and I have never seen anything questionable, but the instincts do kick in. During the day it is fine even there.

If you do take a cab, be a wimp and put your seat belt on. The injuries I've seen recently from cab accidents involve having the passengers ejected. I take cabs every day and usually don't even watch where the guy is driving. It is easier that way.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

Shopping is good on Michigan Ave. You can take the red line to get from the north to south . It is only about two blocks off Michigan. Carsons isn't bad, but probably not the speciality shopping you were wanting. Mostly stuff that you can get at the typical Chain store in any mall. Speciality shopping is more Marshall Fields State St. (or Macy's after Labor Day). Macy's says they are going to keep the speciality stores like Thomas Pink in there when they switch the store over. I am no where near in shape and I have walked up and down Michigan Ave from State and Randolph to Oak Street with no problem. There is a bunch of city buses to help you out if you get tired. The walk to Ruth's Chris is about 9 blocks from Nordstrom. The walk will take you through some really touristy areas so you only have the forementioned worries to think about. And yes...I am not a big fan of Chicago taxi cabs (hold your nose with a few).

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Oak Street
Oak Street
61 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Nordstrom
Nordstrom
110 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

Though I've done very little shopping at Carson Pirie Scott, it's worth the trip down there just to see the building! It's a gorgeous example of Chicago architecture, and was recently unveiled after being covered by scaffolding for repairs for a very long time. While you're there, go into Marshall Fields to view the lovely Tiffany dome ceiling from the cosmetics area (or head up to the 5th floor for a close-up view).

You are no less safe walking from Michigan Ave to the Loop shopping areas than you are walking on Michigan Ave itself (except that at night the loop gets quieter). It should be about a mile from Nordstrom to CPS.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Michigan
Michigan
United States
The Loop
The Loop
1,078 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Nordstrom
Nordstrom
110 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

I agree with Leslie2 that the Loop is probably a bit quieter than the Mag Mile, but it's still far from deserted. Many of the stores are open until around 7 pm on most evenings and there will be people heading to theatres, restaurants and college classes in the area. In addition, there will be people coming and going from the hotels, apartments and college dorms that are on or near State Street until those hours of the morning when few of us past college-age are awake.

Probably the worst thing you'll encounter is someone panhandling, but you encounter them in most areas of the city.

A good rule to judge distances in the city is that 800 addresses equal one mile. Madison Street divides north from south and State divides east from west. Nordstrom is at 420 N Michigan, so it's approximately a half-mile north of Madison. Carson's is at the corner of State and Madison.

Depending on where you live in Michigan, you could probably find Carson's equivalent to Crowley's, Smith-Bridgeman's, J.W. Knapp or Herp's.

Mentioned in this post
The Loop
The Loop
1,078 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Nordstrom
Nordstrom
110 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Carson's
Carson's
378 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

I believe Carson's goes under the name Younkers in Michigan, Boston Store in Wisconsin, and Bergners in Downstate Illinois. All pretty much the same.

I would agree with the previous comment that it is worth walking by Carsons to check out the architecture. There is a lot of good architecture down in that area. Also, two blocks away on Walbash you will be in the Diamond district an may be able to get a good deal on jewlery. I personally like New York Jewelers. I bought my diamond somewhere else, but bought her setting there.

Mentioned in this post
Carson's
Carson's
378 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Michigan
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

Again, thank you. We are looking forward to our trip and some great shopping.

7. Re: Shopping Loop and Michigan Ave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 17:17