We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitor - food ideas

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visitor - food ideas

Hi! I am headed to Chicago for the last weekend in April with 4 other girlfriends. We'd like to try some deep dish and have a nice dinner or too. Nothing too extravagant but a little upscale is fine. Our food taste is all over the place so we are wide open. We are staying at the Millenium Lakefront if that helps. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

I realized that I search pizza so I guess more just restaurants. Thanks!!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

Way to vague that's like asking where to eat in Manhattan

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

Take a look at The Gage, Cocco Pazzo Cafe, Slurping Turtle, then get out of downtown and check out Adobo Grill, Riccardo Enoteca, Mon Ami Gabi.

ZB

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

I don't know many pizza places in that area but if you want to hang out in a neighborhood and do a little shopping and eating pizza - hit Pequod's. It's in Lincoln Park on Clybourn with some great shopping. And the pizza is fantastic! Have fun and be safe.

L2T

chicago
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

sunda, purple pig, boarding house, avec, nellcote, maude's liquor lounge, sayat nova, naha

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

Check the current dining scene at www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagmag.com

You can read restaurant reviews and search by area, cuisine, budget etc. No need to limit yourselves to downtown spots. We've got wonderful neighborhood options.

7. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 01:35
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

There is no hotel called "Millennium Lakefront". Look at the restaurant reviews in the menu bar here on TA. You can sort by Loop or Near North. You will find that there are too many and too diverse cuisines to suggest the one perfect one to a visitor. You can also use the search engine to look for your favorite cuisine. The pizza question is in the Top Questions (not available on you cell phone app) For example there are 112 steakhouses in the city, 56 in the areas that tourist frequent.

Edited: 06 April 2013, 14:59
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,319 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

Stacia428, if you are like me when you are traveling, I want something a little more special than what I can easily get at home - and, of course, within (or at least close to) my budget.

I also think that, while chain restaurants do serve a purpose, it is REALLY IMPORTANT that we patronize independently-owned restaurants on a regular basis, even though they may be a little more expensive. I hope that all of us agree with that sentiment.

So, when you do a little research into places such as pizza parlors or steakhouses in Chicago, you will see how very, very few of them are not chains - particularly in the "tourist zones". Then think about getting a little further afield from those same "tourist zones" - and, fortunately, that is very easy to do if you have purchased your CTA Visitor's Passes. They are for unlimited travel on busses or 'L lines 24/7 - anywhere in the city.

And, going to a major metropolitan area gives me the opportunity to be an adventurous diner - trying out ethnic specialties which I cannot get otherwise. Again, these places are normally further away than the "downtown" areas.

And, you know what? You're probably going to find a lot of really great evening entertainment options in those same outlying neighborhoods in Chicago - very close to those independently-owned and/or ethnic restaurants. And, to your benefit, the evening entertainment options in those outlying neighborhoods is might be considerably more inexpensive than those in the "downtown" areas.

Why don't you let us know what you think or plan on doing later in the evening - exactly where you will be in the city (what neighborhood). Then we could recommend restaurants in those areas. But make sure that you post your budget so we can give you viable options.

10. Re: 1st time visitor - food ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:16