We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
151 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

My parents, me and my two kids ( 6 and 9) plan to visit Chicago for 3days during Jun 30 to July 3. We already booked one suite in Embassy Suites Chicago Lakefront. We plan to go Navy pier, Museum Campus, millenium mile and Michigan Ave. Now there is a deal on Groupon, 3 days CTA pass is only $9 per person. So my question is: which one is better , taking taxi in downtown area, or buying 4 of 3 days CTA pass for my family and taking bus and train in downtown? Will taxi be much more expensive than taking bus and train? Thank you for your reply!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Please take a look at a map while you read my answer. Your hotel is scarcely two blocks from Michigan Avenue and only a 1/2 mile from Navy Pier, so most people would walk. You could take a bus or the Navy Pier trolley (http://www.navypier.com/visit_us/trolley.html) at the end of the day, or if someone has mobility problems (but then, the Pier is not really a good option since it's a long walk in itself.)

If you walk directly south on Columbus Drive, you'll be at the top of Millennium Park in 15 minutes. Again, you may want to take a bus or cab back. There are buses to the Museum Campus, but a cab should be only about $12 and take less than half the time. The buses all run on Michigan, none on Columbus, so you will always have that walk to and from to your hotel. All in all, I don't think you have a huge need for the CTA passes.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 20:03
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,465 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

With five people - you'll need to keep an eye out for minivan taxis.

You can calculate taxi fares here - www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Chicago - don't forget to allow a $1 for each extra person.

GA
Level Contributor
151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Thanks! So you think taxi will be better for us. If we want to take a look of China town and have dinner there, should we take taxi or train?

GA
Level Contributor
151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

We were just back from Washington DC trip. It was no any problem for five of us to sit in a taxi there. So I suppose that it will still work in Chicago taxi. I will check the taxi rate from the website you provided. Thanks!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Adding extra trips tips the scales in favor of the CTA pass. Chinatown is easily reached by the Red Line CTA train - the neareat station to your hotel is grans and State streets, a 4-5 block walk. You may also want to try Chinatown after visiting the museum campus.

Another question to consider: are you flying to Chicago? The CTA train from the airport would be included in the pass. You would take a short cab ride to the ES from the Clark/Lake station on the Blue Line.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Don't buy the pass. Why does it need to be either or? Use a combination depending on the circumstance. You can pay as you go.

I agree that walking to where you are going makes huge sense. Also, you get to see the city better. Then take a taxi when you are tired, or hop a bus. Buses and the "L" are easy to learn to use.

ZB

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

If you go to Chinatown during your visit, you will not be able to take the Red Line as nine southern-most stations on the route will close May 19 for track reconstruction and trains will be detoured. You could take the Red Line to Roosevelt, then cab it from there or transfer to a bus. You can get options on the CTA site. A third option would be the water taxi from Michigan Avenue to Tom Ping Park, on the NW corner of Chinatown. Check www.chicagowatertaxi.com for schedules and fare info.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,465 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

http://www.transitchicago.com/redsouth/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Aslo, when taking the BLUE Line from Ohare, it is now $5 for all passengers that embark at the Ohare.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi or 3 days CTA pass?

Agree with Z, pay as you go...Navy Pier is super close to your hotel, the Museum campus--you can even take a boat ride from Navy Pier to Museum Campus...the red line to Chinatown will be shut so you may just take a cab there...and check the website because children, depending on their ages are free or half price to ride the CTA.