We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Hi Everyone, my wife and I are planning four days in Chicago first week in July and then a road trip to Florida. From ORD to downtown bus or train? Collecting rental car after four days in the city what is the best location, airports or downtown.

Any suggestions on the city stay very welcome including 'local' bars downtown !

quinner

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

http://www.transitchicago.com/airports/

A hotel in the Mag Mile or River North area is best from a visitor's perspective. Many properties to choose from at all price points. Property reviews in the Chicago Hotels section of TA.

All of the major rental chains have offices downtown. Play with your proposed dates using www.kayak.com to see your options. I suspect you'll find better rates picking up your car at ORD or MDW.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 12:07
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

The airport rental locations may offer more make/model variety, too.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Many thanks guys, looks like one of the airports to car hire

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

You realize it is a 20+ hour and IMO very boring drive to Chicago to Florida.? There are many cheap flights that might be cheaper when you take in to account the one way rental fee, hotel and gas.

B.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 00:25
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

maybe they want to see some sights along the way...

absolutely nothing wrong with road tripping, no matter how "boring" the drive might be... at least they get to see our great country, not from 35k feet above....

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Just providing information as is the purpose of this forum. Sometimes people from Europe don't realize how big this country is.

B.

Derbyshire
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

We are travelling this summer to Chicago for 3 days and then driving down to Las Vegas to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. I chose a hotel in downtown, catching train into town, then back to O Hare airport to collect hire car. I found by telephoing the hire firm that there is more choice at the airport and their " one way" charge was by far the cheapest. I did spend hours looking on the interenet and checking out the charges. I love making our road trip routes, finding hotels and generally finding exciting things to see or do on route. Hope you have a great safe trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Thanks Barleymowreto, appreciate your tips, got a good deal with Bookit.com at the Hard Rock Hotel.Did you ring the car hire firm in the UK or Chicago? Best of luck with your road trip, should be a good trip !!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Many thanks Booyakasha1201 appreciate your concern, yes we familiar with the US, just want to see mid America - we are not in a hurry - will take seven/eight days on the road stopping here and there!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four days in Chicago and road trip to Florida

Thanks StrangeTripper, yep in no hurry just want to see mid America, heading to 1-75 and will get off the Interstate as much as possible -seven/eight days to Tampa. We will stop here and there - about four hour drive each day. Appreciate your reply