We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

Hi, I will be first time visitor to Chicago for 3 days on the Memorial Day weekend. Any recommendations for which area to choose a hotel in?

- North Michigan Ave/RiverNorth OR Millennium Park/ Loop & Grant Park

Considerations:

1) Safety and security for walking in the nights (until around 11:00PM).

2) I plan to see a museum maybe or skip it entirely.

3) Purpose of the visit is to take in the sights and sounds of Chicago, food, architecture.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

Be prepared for high hotel rates. 31,000 oncologists here for a convention 5/31-6/4.

Take whatever hotel works with your budget. All of the mentioned areas are safe.

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

My trip is from May 24 to May 27th which is outside convention dates so I assuming I should only run into usual high memorial day rates but might still be better than convention date rates?

Also, which of the 2 areas have better access to public transportation given that I won't have a car?

Edited: 29 April 2013, 21:42
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

Both areas are good for what you want. Did you realize that North Michigan and River North begin just north of downtown (north of the river)? Public transport is very good in all the areas you've mentioned. Look for something within a half-mile of the area where the river crosses North Michigan Avenue, and you'll be within walking distance or a bus or train ride to almost everything a visitor could want.

The North Michigan/ River North is more crowded in the evening, while the Loop/ Grant Park area is closer to the museums. As far as safety, all the areas are quite safe, but you need to be aware of not displaying expensive cell phones, etc., as these seem to be the primary targets of theft these days.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

Transit options are about equal from either area.

You might want to consider - groupon.com/deals/chicago-transit-authority-…

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

Thanks for the quick replies!

Pgo, regarding:

"Did you realize that North Michigan and River North begin just north of downtown (north of the river)? "

Yes, I know but areas across a street (or river :)) can be significantly different. Take market street for example in SFO or there are a number of examples in LA. I just wanted to understand if one might be slightly better option than the other since I couldn't figure that out from reading other forum posts.

Dave148, thanks for the Groupon link! This looks like a great deal and fits my schedule exactly.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,657 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

Try to stay in River North but The Loop and Streeterville are also very good. Downtown Chicago is very compact. If a hotel advertises being in Grant Park it's probably too far south for a tourist. All transit converges downtown.

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

shallow_shoals, thanks!

"If a hotel advertises being in Grant Park it's probably too far south for a tourist"

- Very helpful tip! I will keep this in mind!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

River North, the area north of the River within a couple blocks of Michigan Avenue, is where most of the restaurants and shopping are. It's busier and the most convenient area for tourists. South of the river is more business area and quieter at night so not as enjoyable for most tourists.

Both areas are safe and have good access to public transportation.

Orlando
Level Contributor
379 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

I just returned from a fabulous weekend in Chicago. We stayed at The Talbott and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. EXCELLLENT boutique hotel. Literally 2 blocks from N Michigan Ave (near John Hancock for reference). We had excellent weather so we walked everywhere ( and i mean everywhere--to the Willis Tower from our hotel one day) during the day and took a couple of cabs at night, but only because I was in heels. Would have had no problem walking back to hotel at night. There were tons of people out enjoying the nice weather

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: N Michigan Ave/Riv. North or Millennium Park/Loop&Grant Park

I booked a Chicago hotel for May 25 to 30 and the rates for hotels seemed relatively good. The rates were sky-high for May 31 to June 2.

So, for your dates, you should be fine.