We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction Advice

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Construction Advice

I’m going to be coming from Michigan, probably on I-80/I-90, and getting to Elmhurst on June 23, around noon. I’ve noticed that there is construction in the (294, Dan Ryan) area and I want recommendations as to which roads/freeways would be the quickest. I’m totally open to taking the street if anyone thinks it’ll be faster. Thanks for any tips.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
984 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction Advice

If you are going from Michigan to Elmhurst, your better bet might just be to go past 294 on 80 and exit at Kingerly/83 instead. For the $1 in tolls you save it will get you up there in good time. It just might slow a bit around Oakbrook mall. 294 isn't bad on the weekend and flows pretty good!

Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction Advice

294 isn't too bad. I just drove through it this morning.

There's a bit of construction at the south end near I-80. Also at the Cermak (22nd St) toll plaza.

You can take 294 north to 290 west. Exit 290 at either Lake St, York Rd, or route 83 for Elmhurst.

Before you leave - check this site for the latest details - www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page…

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction Advice

Major construcion on I-80 East of 294. Just went through it. Just have to be patient. We travelled through it mid day. Weekends might be better. But they have several lanes open and it moves, but it is slow for a few miles. Don't have many choices, just gotta bear it.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction Advice

Yes, take 294. I drive that route quite often and my advice is "stay left". There is usually a huge backup of cars/trucks exiting to the right for Iowa (80 west).

I would take 294 to Ogden Avenue (route 34) West. Take Ogden Avenue west to route 83 and then 83 north to Elmhurst.

The exit from 294 to 290 is usually very backed up. You will avoid the Cermak toll backup by exiting at Ogden Avenue.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction Advice

I worked in Elmhurst for quite a while. I DEFINATELy recommend avoiding the Dan Ryan.

Take 294 almost to Elmhurst where you will exit to 290 West (Toward Rockford) Then take the York Road Exit

turn right at the stoplight and it will take you to the heart of Elmhurst.

In my opinion the Lake St. exit is confusing so I would avoid it.

6. Re: Construction Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 19:17