We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

Hi,

We are driving from MI to Chicago on June 21st, we should arrive around 8 am to get a full days worth of things to see/do. We have 2 kids ages 5 & 6 yrs old. We are staying at the W City Center! We also have a little time on Saturday morning before our flight leaves from Midway at 2pm.

These things I have been thinking about but need input

Shedd Aquariam- which is the best ticket to buy?

Navy Pier

Lincoln Park Zoo

American Girl Store

The Bean

Wrigley Field

We want to get as much in as possible and we will have a car if that helps. We are also from Texas!

Thanks In Advance

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

Too much for one say. The shedd on a summer Saturday will be crazy busy. If you want to do that, be there in line when it opens, but to really see it all, that'll fill most of the day.

If you have energy you could see the bean after the shedd then go to navy pier that evening. The next morning you could do the zoo for an hour or so.

The car saves time if you don't mind paying $30 for parking at each stop. Otherwise leave it at the hotel.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

Are you driving a rental car? If so, you could turn it in at Midway on your way in and take the Orange Line into the city. Kids love the trains. Your hotel is close to the Sears/Willis skydeck, and you might want to consider that. I don't think you have time for Navy Pier, the aquarium and the zoo - Navy Pier at night is not optimal because the Chicldren's Museum will be closed.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

Get to Aquarium first thing...as in before it opens...then take the boat outside the Aquarium over to Navy Pier for lunch...they have fast food, Bubba GUmp shrimp type places, nothing spectacular but the Pier is fun for kids. Rides, popcorn, etc. From there, you could take a quick cab to the American girl store and afterward, go next door to the 95th floor of the John Hancock for kiddie cocktails.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

Skip Navy Pier. Shedd is Total Bedlam on weekends. Wall to wall pushing and screaming but youi might be used to that. Zoo is great and free. Take public transportation...bus to zoo. Ape house is spectacular and zoo is meant for your kids ages. Why Wrigley Field may I ask? Yes for the Bean and fountain. American Girl of course.

ZB

Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

A few of my favorites in Chicago as a kid were lincoln park zoo, the field museum, and wrigley field. Depending on who the cubs are playing, you can get somewhat decent seats on stubhub. Lincoln park zoo is free admission but parking can be $10-$20. The field museum is huge, and can take up most of the day (about $15), it is also nearby (no more than 4 miles) from the bean.

Midwest
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

If the weather is good, do the Hop On Hop Off Double Decker Bus Tour. It stops all over Chicago's major attractions and you can get off and explore then get back on. This will take you all day to travel the route and you will get the most out of your day plus a fun narrated tour.

Have Fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
803 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

I really think with one day, I would skip the Shedd. Do the bean, walk around Millenium Park, go to American Girl (if you want to eat there make reservations now), and visit Navy Pier if you must (not my favorite but you have a nice view of the city from there), and that'll take your whole day.

8. Re: One day trip questions with kids? Staying at W City Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:17