We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steakhouse

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
900 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Steakhouse

My husband and I are going to Chicago for Christmas and are looking to go out for a nice steak dinner one night. Trying to keep it at about $150 for the both of us. We're both in our late 20's, no kids, and kind of partiers so I don't want to eat somewhere that's super stuck up.

We want somewhere that's kind of modern. When I picture a steakhouse in Chicago I picture a bunch of bankers sitting around making business deals in a steakhouse that looks like a rich old guys library. LoL

I was thinking Joe's Stone Crab. It has pretty good reviews on Yelp and I've drank (didn't eat) at the one in Vegas.

Any suggestions from anyone

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Swift & Sons
££££, American, Steakhouse
RPM Steak
Steak 48
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,462 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steakhouse

Please type Steakhouse in the search box above. Yours is a frequently asked question.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steakhouse

There are only 46 steakhouses in downtown Chicago. Joe's Stone Crab is one of the o.k. ones. We even have steakhouses that are based in Chicago and not chains from somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steakhouse

Joe's Stone Crab is OK but not one of the bucket list type of places. Check out Bavette's Bar and Boeuf. It's appears classic but it has a contemporary twist to it. The vibe in there is like a speakeasy. They do steaks really well and also have some other great items in their menu. Definitely one of the top places in the city now. Trendy people in their late 20s and early 30s. Advance reservations recommended and since you're planning this far ahead, you won't have a problem. Otherwise, David Burke Primehouse is also a solid choice.

Mentioned in this post
Bavette's Bar and Boeuf
Bavette's Bar and Boeuf
1,354 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Primehouse
Primehouse
873 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
900 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steakhouse

@terinay Bavette's was the other place I was looking at as it seems to be kind of different than a standard steakhouse. Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steakhouse

Gibson's is old school but it is also an in place. I have rarely been there when there was not a couple of celebrities. Chicago Cuts is a newer more trendy place. Maestro is also a good choice. Joe's is good but I go there for seafood not steaks.

http://chicagovisitor.net/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
205 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steakhouse

I've never been there, myself, but have heard that this place is awesome:

http://www.geneandgeorgetti.com/index.php

It being awesome was told to me by an acquaintance who practices law, and after all of the trips to Chicago to work on some "big shot's case", that big shot would send his legal team to this place for dinner, every night. Maybe it's out of your price range - I really don't know, but you said that you wanted "any suggestions from anyone".

A different type of steakhouse would be the Fogo de Chao location in Chicago.

www.fogodechao.com/menu/dining-experience/

http://www.fogodechao.com/index.php?id=162

I have been to other churrascarias, so I am guessing that FdC is similar, just as good, and a fun experience with great food and no pretentiousness.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steakhouse

Gene & Georgetti's is great but the opposite of modern. It is the old school cigar chomping place you say you don't want to go to. "Modern" as a criteria, could include: Keefer's, David Burke's, Magnum's, Zed451 I like hdbangr's suggestion of a Churrascaria. I like Brazzaz for their meats but Fogo De Chao has the better side-dish/salad bar. I've even taken vegetarians there and they got their fill. I think that you'll find either of these Argentinian restaurants within your budget too.

Mentioned in this post
ZED451
ZED451
387 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Decatur, GA
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steakhouse

we visited Joe's Stone Crab when we were in Chicago last August and enjoyed it very much. the food was top notch and the service was fantastic! the main reason we chose Joe's was because I am unlikely to ever visit Miami so I figured this was my one chance to eat there. if you're looking for a classic steakhouse though I would try one of the other places in town.

also, Fogo is great but it's a chain. you can visit a Fogo in any number of US cities. go for something local.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 16:17
Mentioned in this post
Joe's Stone Crab
Joe's Stone Crab
6,915 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Steakhouse

Joe's is one of my favorite's because the food is always great (save room for one of their pies!) and the service is fantastic. I would describe Joe's as a classic steak/seafood restaurant and not trendy. Bavette's is also one of my favorites right now although I'm not a huge fan of their steak (but pretty much everything else is great- caesar salad, fried chicken, cocktails, etc.). While it's not trendy/modern in design and scene/customers are. Gibson's is more of a scene and the food is decent (also more of a classic steakhouse/Chicago staple). David Burke's is more hip and the food is good as well. My vote for you is Bavette's; you'll love it!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steakhouse

Joe's Stone Crab is a chain too. What else is a Miami restaurant doing in Chicago and Las Vegas? So are Ruth's Chris, Keefer's, Morton's (although Chicago based), Smith & Wollensky, Flemings, The Capital Grille is going chain this year with 3 out of state locations. Further: they all have the same meat purveyors.

Mentioned in this post
Joe's Stone Crab
Joe's Stone Crab
6,915 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
The Capital Grille
The Capital Grille
871 Reviews
Chicago, IL