We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking in on a saturday

Trinidad
9 posts
Save Topic
Checking in on a saturday

hi,

some of the hotels that I am interested in staying in do not allow check in on a Saturday. I have never experienced this anywhere in the world. What's up with that, as I find it very limited.

I have tried making a booking on the actual hotels website and it is still the same.

Is this a norm in Chicago.? Should I try calling the hotel and see if it will make a difference, or do I need to change my travel plans to arrive on the Sunday to stay at my choice hotel.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking in on a saturday

People check-in their hotel in Chicago every week of the year. If the hotel you've selected won't let you check-in on a Saturday that's probably because there is no availability on that date. Booking services frequently offer excellent savings on rooms, but hotels often limit the number of rooms, or days of the week, they can book a property. Dealing with the hotel directly when a question arises such as yours gets you the best information.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking in on a saturday

This is fast becoming a regular thing at hotels. Las Vegas has had this policy for a long time as have most resort areas. Now I am seeing this in cities as well. We are coming in on a Saturday but only about half the hotels I've checked have had this policy in Chicago.

Mentioned in this post
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking in on a saturday

If "concierge" reads this thread maybe he will comment about the question. But, I don't think any such policy exists - as a general policy - at hotels in Chicago. What are the hotels going to do - allow only weekly guests, or leave rooms empty on a Saturday? I still think the reason you can't get a room at certain hotels on a Saturday is because the hotels are full. Chicago is hugely popular on the weekends, and many people check-in on Saturday and out on Sunday afternoon (or Monday morning).

Trinidad
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking in on a saturday

Actually, I was making a booking for some three months in advance i.e. the month of September and for approximately 50% of the hotels that I was interested in [I will not call names], on the expedia etc it stated that hotel does not allow check in on desired day i.e. a saturday. If I try booking from the Sunday.....there is no problem.

That's why I thought this was an "unwritten rule" of some sorts in Chicago.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking in on a saturday

I suspect the "problem" is with expedia not having permission to sell rooms for a Saturday arrival (because the hotels don't need its help for that day of the week) and not with the hotel not accepting guests on a Saturday. The hotel itself will be your best source of information.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking in on a saturday

It may also be due to some hotels requiring a stay of a certain length. That seems to happen a lot in Chicago. No idea if that's the issue, just throwing out a thought. Saturday checkin has been *reported* to be a problem with bidding on hotels via Priceline, but that's not always the case.

As mentioned, I'd call the hotels you're interested in.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking in on a saturday

I always check the hotel's own website for prices and information. Generally it works out better.......

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking in on a saturday

yep, DVD and mexico are both correct. During certain times of the year a minmum night stay is required. Sometimes 2 sometimes 3. This is usually during convention time, so the discounted sites may not show availability.

Speaking of discount websites, remember a lot of the hotels are now offering only certain room types to be sold over these sites. So although you may "request" two beds or a king size bed, or a room with a view, you may not get it. A lot of hotels will charge you extra for a "non standard room". Just an FYI.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking in on a saturday

Ihave never heard of this in chicago.

las vegas has a lot of no saturday check-ins

10. Re: Checking in on a saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 22:18