We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinac Island

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Mackinac Island

Hello,

We are visiting Chicago in September and wanted to visit Mackinac Island. Just wondering the best way to get there...Plane, Ferry?

Many Thanks

Orlando

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,093 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinac Island

The shortest route is to drive hwy 94 east to 196 north then merge with hwy 76 north. It is about a 12 hour drive depending in your ability to get out of and past the Chicago environs in less that 2 hours. A little over 430 miles. There is no train service but Amtrak has a bus every day that costs $80 and takes 15.5 hours. IMO it is not worth the time nor effort.

You might post your question on the Michigan State forum since Mackinac is in the upper peninsula area of that State.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinac Island

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42423-i351-k52579…

Even though topic is a year old, information is still current. Takes about 8-9 hours driving depending on traffic, etc. And then you have to take a ferry over. I used to drive it every year for the Race to Mackinaw. It is really pretty but if you are here for a limited time, it might not be worth your time.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinac Island

this is the best way:

www.groupon.com/deals/mid-west-air-link

if you do it and have an extra seat ill join you : )

otherwise you need to drive there, its a beautiful drive if you are not in a rush

how many days do you have?

google maps says 6 hours and 24 minutes from downtown

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinac Island

http://www.lakeshoreexpress.com/

The luggage alowances is very limited (35 lb total)

They just expanded to Detroit too.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackinac Island

In addition I think Delta flies into Pellston where you can catch a puddle jumper to the Island. I was looking at Google maps and I'm thinking making that drive in under 7 hours sounds nearly impossible. Also when I looked at google they had some strange directions in Grand Rapids, MI where I-196 intersects with US-131. In fairness there has been construction there the last couple of years but I believe its all cleared up. You simply exit I-196 from the left lane and merge onto US-131's left lane. A few miles up the highway be sure to stay right and follow 131 north.

Google also has you exiting in Cadillac onto M-55 over to US-127 and then onto I-75 which takes you to the bridge. If it were me I'd stay on US-131 to Petoskey where it turns into US-31 which will take you to the bridge. It may take an hour longer or less but it's a much prettier drive.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mackinac Island

Rono-we still have all kinds of construction on some major highways. The northbound exit from I-196 to US 131 is closed! There is also major construction over the Grand River west of town on I-196 before you get into the downtown area. US 131 also has multiple area's of construction in and north of the downtown area.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mackinac Island

" The northbound exit from I-196 to US 131 is closed!" Again? Oh my.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mackinac Island

Oh yes. Again! Just drove thru the area this morning. Northbound US 131 down to 1 lane just north of downtown. Huge back ups.

9. Re: Mackinac Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:17