We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

priceline.com

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
4 posts
Save Topic
priceline.com

I would like to take my children tfrom Dc to Toronto and then to Chicago but we're traveling on a budget. I''d like to know about three things: (1) budget parking in Chicago (like downtown) and (2) has anyone used priceline.com to get in a room in Chicago and what were the results? and (3) do you know a place on Lake Michigan between Toronto and Chicago that we can stay that I can use priceline to get a room or that you know is a bargain this time of year and safe for our family? Thanks for your help!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,048 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: priceline.com

1. Budget parking is at the Millenium Park garage. I believe it's $18 per day. millenniumpark.org/generalinformation/direct…

2. Visit betterbidding.com for Priceline and Hotwire tips. Also, if you give us the specific dates that you'll be here - the hotel gurus on this forum will be happy to offer advice. Hotel prices here are hit and miss depending on season, conventions etc.

3. Are you looking for cities along Lake Michigan with hotels?

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: priceline.com

1) Agree with Dave

2) I always use priceline for Chicago hotels, and agree to check out the sites Dave mentioned. BUT, if there are more than two of you in each room, don't use priceline. You can search for hotels for up to four people per room using hotwire. Also check www.travelzoo.com for Chicago hotel specials during the time you'll be visiting, but note that the specials are only generally available 1-2 months in advance.

3) Most of Lake Michigan would not be on the way between Chicago and Toronto, but if you don't mind going out of the way you have lots of options. How far are you willing to go out of your way? Also, keep in mind that anything on Lake Michigan will be considerably closer to Chicago than Toronto. You might drive 2 hours from Chicago to your lake destination, then 7 or so from there to Toronto, so it may not be a good choice if you're looking to break up the drive.

Have you considered camping near Lake Michigan rather than finding a hotel through priceline?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: priceline.com

also check out biddingfortravel.com

they have a list by area and star rating of the hotels priceline normally dishes out. They will also offer bidding advice, but they are kinda strict with the rules on how to ask for it.

Columbia Heights...
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: priceline.com

I've done well with both Hotwire (Ambassador East last July for $92/night) and Priceline (Hotel Burnham this July for $105/night). The bidding tips mentioned by others are spot on and very helpful.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: priceline.com

Pennyless are you GOING to toronto too?? are you looking or a place half way... if so... check out port huron, mi... on the water on the east side of michigan and a little more then half way between chicago and toronto. If not... disregard!!! lol

Dallas
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: priceline.com

I really appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes, I thought $8 day parking I pay was expensive! Is there a way to park in a nearby neigborhood free and take the subway for two people cheaper????

I've used priceline before to bid and got 3 star Virginia beach waterfront hotels for $59 night during the week so I was hoping for that kind of deal...

I'm confused: I thought we do drive by the south of part of the lake driving from Toronto to Michigan???? The only town I remember seeing was ST Joseph at this moment. I was thinking it may be less expensive to stay outside the city and fun for the kids.

We should be in Toronto on the 24 and Chicago on the 25...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,048 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: priceline.com

You are correct in your routing - you will pass St. Joseph, MI on your way to Chicago.

Parking is expensive here. An alternative would be to use one of the CTA Park and Ride lots and take a train downtown. Most lots are $2-$3 per day. Here's a link with details - http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/park.html

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: priceline.com

Yep, you definitely pass by the southern part of Lake Michigan on your way. I was just saying that most of Lake Michigan is not on your way, so it either limits your options or requires a detour, depending on what you want.

Parking in Chicago is expensive, as it is in most very big cities, unfortunately. And you'll never find a $59 hotel deal in Chicago proper, priceline or otherwise. Comparing rates from one area of the country to another can be very misleading. You can get a great deal on priceline (or hotwire) in Chicago, but that's relative to Chicago's regular hotel prices, not relative to priceline prices in other places. A Chicago hotel for $80-$100 per night is not unreasonable, but will not be available every night.

You mentioned in your last post staying outside the city and taking the train in for two people, but mentioned "children" in your first post. How many will you have in your party, and of what ages? When will you be traveling, and how many days did you plan to stay in Chicago?

9. Re: priceline.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 05:26