We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

Hi, we had our road trip planned but then thought wouldn't it be great to divert to Indianapolis to see Nascar. We have been n the states before but not this far north so any help with this itenarary would be fantastic.

This is just a section of our trip below.

Day 1. Toronto-niagara falls, spend few hrs at falls then head for possibly Cleveland or somewhere nice nearby for an overnight.

Day 2. Drive to Indianapolis. Chill out for the eve.

Day 3 nascar

Day 4 drive to Chicago, chill out, see the sights.

Day 5 see more sights in Chicago.

Day 6 drive to aurora for outlet shopping

Day 7 head to Sioux Falls.

Will end up in Denver eventually with all the cool sights along the way already planned so no help needed there. It's just the above section is a bit iffy. I am mad to do some shopping(any suggestions here also welcome-outlet, nordstorm, bloomingdales wanted) so I have cut down aurora from 2 nights to 1 & Chicago has one night cut off as well so that we can fit in Nascar

. Are we mad? Just think whilst in the general area we may as well see Nascar. To us as tourists it's like catching a baseball game or football. In essence, is it worth the diversion or not? R cud we plan it better? Thanks for any useful suggestions.

Penny :)

Edited: 23 June 2013, 21:44
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

You might want to post your question in the TA Road Trips forum - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

I'm thinking that you are pulling our leg. A couple of hours in Niagara, Cleveland "nice", well maybe... It's better than Toledo. Then south to Indianapolis to come back north to Chicago and only spend 2 nights and one day in Chicago, to waste time at the Aurora Outlet Mall, and then drive across the Great Plains to Denver... by way of Sioux Falls (which is in South Dakota). It's an interesting itinerary. You should start with a map of the USA and www.maquest.com

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. Will do. Well used to road trips and have lots planned, just changed our mind at last min for. That diversion. Shallow...was hoping that somebody with a little more travel experience would reply..Manners are easily carried! :)

Edited: 23 June 2013, 23:09
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

I've got plenty of travel experience which is why your plan makes no sense. Perhaps, for example, you mean Sioux CITY, Iowa and not Sioux Falls South Dakota. Your travel plans still make no sense bouncing around half of this big country in 6 days. You might want to use the search engine to research the Aurora Outlet Mall.

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

Hi,

My travel plan makes sense to me as I stated it is only a section of our trip. Considering I have travelled Europe, Asia & other American states before and plan to return to the states many times in the future it doesn't really bother me 'bouncing around half the country in 6 days'......considering that I will have another 30 to chill!! As I said just a SECTION of my trip! Sioux Falls is just a stopover en route to badlands and yellowstone. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

i know that you have been working on this since January. I'm glad to read that you will return again after this upcoming visit. Still, don't try to see everything at once. Your holiday sounds like work and a lot of time driving. Whatever, wherever: have fun.

A couple of places between Chicago and South Dakota: The Spam Museum in MInnesota http://www.spam.com/spam-101/the-spam-museum and The Corn Palace In Mitchell S.D. http://www.cornpalace.org/ Also in SD, Wall Drug http://www.walldrug.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,740 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

Seems do-able, although a lot of driving. The one thing I would do is research outlet malls. Outlet malls in general really don't have lower prices like they used to. if you're dead set on going to one, the one in Aurora is very out of the way if you're heading to Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux Falls is right off I90. To get there you will head either north on I94 or northwest on I90 out of Chicago. Aurora is West on I88.

Going north on I94 you'll hit the Kenosha outlet malls. Going northwest on I90, you'll hit the ones in Huntley. I'd stop at one of those instead of Aurora simply because they are more on the way and they're all pretty similar in terms of what you'll find and shopping deals. Kenosha has a whole string of outlet malls right along the highway. I would do that as there's a lot of construction on I90, and if you exit at Huntley, there's no easy way back on the highway heading west.

Personally I would not make a big diversion to Indianapolis just for a Nascar race. Cars making left turns for three hours. But a lot of people like it so if it interests you, go ahead.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 02:31
Chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

I applaud you for your energy. If you say you can make it then go for it. But Aurora Outlet Mall isn't worth a stop. They have good shops but the deals aren't worthy of taking a stop on a cross country trip. Granted going up I65 from Indy to Chicago will seem like allot of farm land and it will but best of luck.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

Shallow shoals, shocking that you would recommend the Corn Palace, Wall Drug Store, and SPAM museum over Ohio attractions. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help road trip please? Niagar-Indianapolis-Chicago!!

The OP is driving through S.Dakota... do you have any other suggestions in that diety foresaken area? The Corn Palace is the most exciting tourist attraction out there. Ohio is one big megalopolis compared to S. Dakota.

Pennypen: If you forget Nascar then you will be driving into Chicago along Lake Erie. You could look at Cedar Point Park in Sandusky Ohio.