We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

We will be in Ireland July 29-Sep 2 and are trying to decide how to get to O'Hare and what to do with our car.

Using the airport shared shuttle from our home in a suburb of Milwaukee to/from O'Hare will cost around $350. When we've used them to/from the Milwaukee airport, we've never had anyone else in the van, but that's no guarantee.

One limo company will charge around $380 for a private car to/from our house and O'Hare.

Taking a cab to/from the bus from Milwaukee to/from O'Hare will cost about $180, take longer, and be less convenient.

As I poked around on the Internet, I found some sites that offer parking (usually at a hotel) for $6-$7 a day, which would come out to $216-$252, plus about $20 for gas and tolls.

I plan to call some of the hotels we've used for park-sleep-fly and ask what their rates would be just for parking. A number of years ago, a Marriott charged us $50 for 17 days of parking because DH is a Marriott Rewards member.

Any other ideas?

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

Did you look at coach buses? They're luxury and very comfortable. We used to take it from Kenosha to Ohare rather than impose on someone to drive us. It's not super cheap, but sure beats a limo.

http://www.coachusa.com/wisconsincoach/

Edited: 02 July 2013, 04:36
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,808 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

coachusa.com/info/wisconsincoach/ss.toolkit.…

Otherwise, park/sleep/fly.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 04:37
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

coachusa is the bus I referenced--it would involve taking a cab (probably $40 each way) to/from their depot, as they don't allow parking for over two weeks.

Does parksleepfly have rates for just parking? We've used them for hotels with parking, but not just for parking.

thanks for your response.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

Why not take the train? You can take Amtrak all the way to Union Station and then get on the Blue line L all the way to Ohare. Or get off at Glenview and take a cab. Then you will not have to worry about your car. And this will be a buttload cheaper.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

Oh, yikes--a cab to the train to DT Chicago and then the Blue Line with 35 days worth of luggage? That's the long way, for sure.

Or a cab to the train to Glenview and then a cab all the way to O'Hare?

No, thanks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,808 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

parksleepfly.com/chicago-ohare-airport-hotel…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

Thanks, Dave--I've used that site for hotels with parking, but hadn't thought about it just for parking.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
255 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

a bit off topic.......35 days worth of luggage? You're not going to the arctic. There are plenty of shops in Ireland for all your toiletries. If you take clothes for about 4-5 days and do laundry when needed you will not need to haul all that stuff around. Finding a laundromat and doing your laundry in another country can be part of the adventure and best of all it's so much easier to get around. (IMO)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

We're not taking enough clothes for 35 days, and we do plan to do laundry--but only twice. We'll each have a medium sized suitcase and a computer bag, plus (probably) one shared roller bag. We need to be prepared for a variety of weather.

IMO, spending time doing laundry on and shopping for toiletries is not how I want to spend my vacation time. From what I've read (which certainly could be wrong), most launderettes in Ireland aren't self service--so I'd have to plan my days around their open hours and trust someone else with doing my laundry, about which I'm very particular. No thanks.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: O'Hare parking or transport to/from Milwaukee

I'm not sure if this would work, but is there a ride-share type of thing on Craigslist? I've got to imagine that there would be someone out there that could drive you to the airport, or at least drive you to where you can catch another form of transportation to the airport...