We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

I want to spend 4 days in Chicago at the end of August.

I want my wife to have nice hotel views, and we plan to split the trip into 2 nights in one spot, and 2 nights in another.

Views of the river/city at night would be 1 goal, followed by 2 nights of views of the Lake.

Recommendations?

We are certainly willing to spend $200 a night, but cheaper is fine, and more expensive is fine - I want the best opinions you can provide!

Thanks so much

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

River views - Renaissance on Wacker - Sheraton - Westin River North.

Lake views - Swissotel - W Lakeshore - Four Seasons

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k444520…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

Most hotels are the bottom of mixed use high rises or are surrounded by high rises. I.e. the Park Hyatt rooms are floors 8-18 with 40 floors of condos above. The same with the Waldorf Astoria. The Ritz Carlton rooms are floors 10- 20 and you can get nice city views from half of them. Even the ones Dave mentions (which are the best) have four sides and possibly only one side faces the scene you want. Those rooms command higher prices for the rare view. You should double your $200/ night rate to get a view room. If you check the TA hotels reviews, most have view rooms separated out in their pricing.

I'd also check the Wyndham Hotel 71 on Wacker and the Embassy Suites on Columbus Dr.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

Chicago hotels are not about views. They are about location!! Location, location, location is what really counts and then rooms and amenities. Find the lowest rate and walk outside for the views.

ZB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

Thanks, Z - that's THE answer.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

Since there are a limited number of rooms with good views, you'll have to increase your budget somewhat, but you are traveling at a good time, and it won't have to double. The Sheraton has guaranteed waterview rooms- either the river or the lake- for $209 a night. It's a big convention hotel, but the location is good and you can switch rooms to get a different view.

The Hilton at 720 South Michigan, has the best lake views, IMO. You can see the Shedd Aquarium and Grant Park as well as the lake. View rooms are under $300 - see photos on the website. The Drake (a Hilton) has the other premier spot - it's at the north end of Michigan Avenue, and the views are of the lake and the northern city skyline. Lake view rooms are $230. This is in the heart of the most expensive shopping in the city, so it may not be such a bargain ;)

Edited: 20 July 2013, 19:31
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

I live across the river from the Sheraton and we have a great view of both the river, lake and navy pier. For $209 a night, that is a bargain.. Good location for a great Chicago trip. The Chicago Burger Company on river level has burgers and fries easy to share.

S

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

Yes Sheraton has great views, be sure you are not viiewing the new construction of the Loews Hotel. Another hotel with great views is the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, again. I would say three sides of that hotel have good views

8. Re: Best Hotel Views - of City - and of Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:17