We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Michigan around August 9th

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
walnut
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Michigan around August 9th

A beach visit on Lake Michigan sounds very nice. I will be in Chicago with two young adults and a teenager the weekend of August 9th. We are staying at a Residence Inn next to Ohare. I would be willing to rent a car to get to a good beach. As a kid (1960s) I have fond memories of the beach outside of Willmette and Winnetka. I'm sure its all changed. Any advice?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

The beach in wilmette is gilson park. Nice but expensive admission. There's a free beach next door where you can go but no swimming allowed. Winnetka beaches are small and I think you also need to be a resident to park. Not really set up for visitors. Foster or montrose beach in Chicago are not too bad to get to from ohare and free except for a few dollars to park. Just go before noon on a weekend to avoid too much traffic. Further into the city gets hard to park.

walnut
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

Thanks for the fast reply. I took the Forum's advice and followed the links to the right to Chicago Beaches. Since we are all swimmers, I think Willmette / Gilson will be fine. We're used to So Cal. beaches were Parking is approaching $25./ day. Whats the temperature like in August? Should we bring sweat shirts? Do people actually swim the lake?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

People swim in the lake in June. In August the water will be more than warm enough.

In wilmette you pay for parking plus admission to the beach

wilmettepark.org/lakefront/wilmette-beaches

http://www.wilmettepark.org/lakefront

Edited: 30 July 2013, 02:52
chicago
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

Its currently freezing and the seven day forecast doesn't have any beach days :(

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

In the Top Questions section - right side of this page, there's a post that covers beaches. Not visible on a mobile device.

walnut
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

ahh man.... is that normal in August?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

Follow - http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/ - as your dates get closer.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

No, we are having October weather in july, hopefully it changes

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

It's not normal. We set record lows last weekend. Check the weather forecast s it gets closer. Normally mid August it'll be in the 80's and just fine at the beach.

Chicago
Level Contributor
829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Michigan around August 9th

Freezing might be a little strong. Its 72 degrees out, but this certainly has been a cooler than normal summer.

Usually people from California complain that its too hot here, so you might love the low to mid 70's

Edited: 30 July 2013, 19:07