We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

Colombo
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

Hi

I will be in Chicago on 18th afternoon and I am planning to do the Chicago architectural cruise tour as soon as I land. One issue is I will have my large suitcase with me. Which cruise tour allows luggage on board??

Thereafter I plan to go to Apollo Theatre and watch Million Dollar Quartet. Then i will go to my friends house in Lincolnwood.

So until i get to my friendsplace at night I will have my suitcase with me....not a pelasent thought....:(

Any advce Please ??

Need it soon as I leave for my US tour end August 2013.

Tks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

Go to your friends house first and dump the luggage.

Decatur, GA
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

are you a member of any big hotel's prestige club? perhaps one of the downtown hotels would store your luggage for you if you called ahead and spoke to them?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

The boats are not that crowded in sept, just email them to confirm its ok to bring your suitcase on.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

How big is your bag anyway? If it's very big, what are you going to do with it in the theater, as it certainly can't take up a seat. Don't know if they have a coat check that would take it, maybe should check with them as well.

There are no baggage storage places. Perhaps your friend could pick you up or you could rearrange your schedule and go there first.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

I would not want to be in a theater, onboard a boat, etc. where someone brought in a large suitcase.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

the way the boats work is that everyone is on the top deck for the cruise so the lower deck is fairly empty so it is not beyond the realm of imagination that putting a suitcase downstairs would not be a problem

on the other hand -- I am not sure I want to be on a boat that allows people to bring such things on board either and I would think it would be a huge problem for any theater -- most coat checks specifically exclude large baggage

Illinois
Level Contributor
391 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

Union Station has luggage storage lockers but they are a bit expensive. Any larger hotel should store your luggage. Don't forget to tip the bellman for the service.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,417 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

I'm fairly certain the lockers at Union Station are only for Amtrak passengers.

Illinois
Level Contributor
391 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

Not correct, anyone can use those lockers. I've done it many times in the past while traveling on Amtrak and not on Amtrak. The best ones to use are the ones located next to the Amtrak baggage belt.

The other set of lockers located in the South boarding area are the the "ticketed passengers only" area, but no one ever checks that and lots of people wait in that area who don't have tickets on Amtrak.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: luggage on the Chicago Architectural cruise

Apollo is far from downtown.

Call a suburban taxi service, such as 303 taxi. They will probably be able to deliver the suitcase to your friend's home from the airport.