We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

I've arranged a reunion in Chicago with three college friends for Sept. 5-7. Besides celebrating our nearly five-decades-long friendship, we're very interested in devoting a day to the art institute. and exploring Millennium Park, so we're staying at the nearby Hampton Majestic.

I've read another thread posted today about lunch options near AI but would like more information on choices for $$-$$$ dinner within a half-mile of the Hampton Majestic. We are four women age 65+ likely to be wearing "smart casual". No sushi spots please.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

The Art Institute is great and Millennium Park is fun but it should take up half a day. Cabs are fairly cheap so do not limit yourself to 1/2 mile.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,128 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

The Gage, Russian Tea Time, Mercat a la Planxa, Henri,

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

Right behind the Majestic is Rosebud Prime which is a great steak house. Across the the street is the Grill which is another steak house. Just a half block west is the Italian Village which is the oldest Italian restaurant in Chicago and is actually 3 restaurants under one roof. Enjoy your trip.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,960 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining information. You can do your own dining searches by area, cuisine, budget etc.

No need to limit yourself to dining options within a 1/2 mile radius of your hotel. Consider expanding your choices to one of of many wonderful neighborhood spots. Cabs and public transit will get you anywhere you'll need to go.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

Thanks to all who have responded. Please understand that I specified the half-mile radius before we're converging upon Chicago from diverse directions and at varying times. My friend who's flying in from Houston won't arrive at the hotel until 7:30pm on 9/5 whereas two of will have left our homes in Ohio at sunrise that day. Just wanting to simplify dinner. Ultimately it's one another's company that's important to us, not the meal.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

Atwood Café, located two blocks north of your hotel on State Street, would be a great meeting spot. It's across from the Macy's/Marshall Field's clock, where Chicagoans met before there were cell phones.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

A 1/2 mile is only 4 blocks in any direction. You wouldn't even be able to walk to the north end of the Loop (at the north branch of the Chicago River) or to the west end of the Loop (at the south branch of the Chicago River) within that distance. So you are really limiting yourself with respect to restaurants.

Your hotel is more to the South Loop and on the southern end of the Loop Theatre District, an area which has a great deal of fast-food options for day workers but much more limited options for dinner, for the target audience of theatre goers and tourists for the few hotels in the area.

Quite frankly, I agree that for the expense of a short, cheap cab ride (cheap meaning less than $15 each way - because you will have multiple riders), you have many more nicer options. For example, going to the Randolph Street Restaurant Row on the Near West Side would offer Avec (which I think you might really enjoy) or Sepia. Grace, although a wonderful restaurant, isn't in your budget range.

If you are still only interested in remaining in the area of your hotel, IMHO, Henri is the nicest choice in the area; but it is, frankly, in the $$$$ category - perhaps you'd like to try it for lunch when the pricing is lower, less dressy then, too? Followed by Mercat a la Planxa at the Blackstone - tapas are a good meal for reunions, too. I personally go to Russian Tea Time when I attend a performance at the Auditorium or the Symphony - and your party could order a couple of their platters, to try a number of choices. Trattoria No. 10 is an o.k. choice in the area, within your budget range, popular with theatre goers.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

Thanks for so many suggestions. We did enjoy Henri's for lunch in the midst of our day at AI and Italian Village for lunch before one friend departed on Saturday. Another friend had taken the initiative in making reservations for our dinners -- Park Grill on Thursday and Emilio's Tapas on Friday; both were fine. And the conversations and laughter around the table were always wonderful.

9. Re: Dinner options near the Hampton Majestic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:23