We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very early planning stages

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Very early planning stages

Hello Everyone,

I have never been to Chicago before but I am thinking of visiting next year. I have a few basic questions if anyone would be so kind to help out.

Is late April or May a decent time to visit?

I would like to go to a cubs game. Do they sell out long in advance or can you get tickets on gameday?

Is Chicago a good walking city? I will not be renting a car and will mainly be walking or take public transportation.

What is the best area to focus on for staying without a car?

Any other tips or suggestions of must see or do things?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,957 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very early planning stages

April and May are good times to visit.

Cubs game day tickets are easy to get. You can usually get below face value tickets on Stub Hub.

No need for a car. Public transit will get you anywhere you'll need to go. http://www.transitchicago.com/

Mag Mile or River North areas are best from a visitor's perspective. Many properties and price-points to choose from.

Please research www.choosechicago.com

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very early planning stages

Thanks so much for the advise and quick respone!

Sounds like this will work perfectly then.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very early planning stages

I would come more May than April. May is usually nicer while April can be still cold and rainy.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very early planning stages

May is perfect. Prices are still low, kids are still in school. June-August is high season so there are more outdoor events during those months but we're all ready to throw off winter cabin fever by early May.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,175 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very early planning stages

April and even may cub games can be very cold. They sell out lots of mid summer games and sell out everything when they are good. When they are bad, like now, people will be paying you to take April tickets off their hands.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very early planning stages

Definitely May. Some of us might remember a snow storm in April that crippled the city. It's rare but in mid to late May you should be fine. I'd go with bleacher seats for a Cubs game just to get the whole experience of being at Wrigley and it faces West so it gets sunshine if there is any. If they stink next year tickets will be easy to get, but bleacher seats tend to be popular. They say there isn't a bad seat in Wrigley, unless you are sitting behind a pole, which I was, once.

Chicago has tons of shopping, restaurants, shows and cultural events. If you like music, do a search and see who's here during that time. We have lots of performing arts. If you like dance, the Joffrey Ballet is performing Romeo and Juliet through the month of May.

For designer, expensive labels go to Michigan Avenue. For small boutiques try the Oak Street area and for hip, funky stuff try the near north side. There are lots of small shops in the neighborhoods; Lincoln Park, NewTown, Old Town, Lakeview, Wrigleyville, These neighborhoods are all on the north side which is the part of the city I'm most familiar with. The south side has great museums and great food but I'm not familiar with shopping there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very early planning stages

A snow storm in April?! It's happened numerous times. 1982 was the worst. It closed LSD and there was no jack-knifed bus to blame. April snows bring May .... what rhymes with snow?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very early planning stages

forget april---early spring (march/april), IMO is just about the ugliest time to visit chicago..... often too cold/rainy for summer fun, and too mild for winter fun.... cubs games are often miserable.... better to go late may, as even may can be a roll of the dice weather wise---it can range from cold, wet snow, to 90 deg summer heat.... also, keep in mind, it will likely be colder near lake michigan as the water is still pretty cold... it usually doesn't warm up enough for comfortable swimming till late june or even july....

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very early planning stages

Thanks for all the great info Everyone! Sounds like I should target late Mid to Late May for sure. I love sitting in the bleachers as the crowed is always really fun in most bleacher areas so that sounds like a great idea for sure!

I would love to check out lots of interesting neighborhoods as well so thank you for those tips too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
309 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very early planning stages

April can still be chilly, I would wait till end of May to visit. You can get Cubs tickets pretty much anytime on Stub Hub, they are quite easy to find. River North/Mag Mile are probably the best places to stay...good neighborhoods, and quite safe.