We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

I'm interested in visiting Chicago City on this next January, with my family.

I've been told the weather for that time of the year is kind of hard, amazingly cold. Can anyone tell me if it's really that cold?

It'd be dissapointg to invest on a trip (we'll leave from Buenos Aires, AR.) we won't be able to enjoy as it should. Chicago has lot things to do.

Some time ago we've been in Boston, MA in January too (2013). It was cold, something about 14°F (-20°Celsius). If you wore 3/4 layers of clothes, you could cope the climate.

I really would like to know from sb that has been in Chicago if the weather is something bearable or not.

I want to know what are we suppossed to dealing with.

Sorry for my caveman way of writting!!!!!!! I'm not used to speak this language.

Thank you

Special Offer
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,265 reviews
from US$33.60*
US$39.20
Viator VIP: Skydeck, Trolley and...
97 reviews
from US$124.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
172 reviews
from US$75.00*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
571 reviews
from US$23.00*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

The weather is not unlivable, it is just not pleasant. It can be unpredictable, it could be mild or cold. The cold dry wind has a way of cutting through clothes. It is better to visit when the weather is nicer, or at least before Christmas, but 3,000,000 people live here all year--it can not be that bad.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

I have grown to appreciate winter here, and I like to get out to the local forest preserves and walk in the woods and enjoy the peacefulness of that time of year. However, I wouldn't want to come here in January if I were a tourist. Maybe it would be OK if you were just planning to be inside all the time, but that doesn't sound so appealing to me.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

Its similar to Boston

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,962 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

It's your summer. It's our winter. Same as Boston.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

Coming from Rio it's going to be pretty lousy. You can expect cold, ice, snow, freezing temperatures and lots of cranky people. But having said that, there are some mild Januarys, we just don't know which ones are going to turn out that way. It's like Boston. If you bring the proper clothing, you should be ok but to be honest, I think most of us would leave Chicago in January if we could.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

Because of the weather, Chicago is inexpensive in January. So that is a plus. Also, there are many wonderful things to do inside. Imagine waking up and looking out of your hotel room at the icy gorgeous blue lakefront. You order coffee from room service. Then take a cab to the art institute and stroll around for a few hours. From there, cab to a restaurant where you can sit near a fireplace, have a glass of Malbec and enjoy. Maybe spend the evening at the theater or symphony.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

I have lived in Chicago most of my adult life and EVERY January we spend a week or so in Mexico or the Caribbean. It can be just miserable in January. I would come another time.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

Thank you for your answers.

Are there in Chicago inside places or the most of the attractions are outside kind (Cab's prices are sth payable?) ?

People who visited the city has told me, Chicago isn't cheap and that it's similar to NYC. True or false?

Was ur last winter so raw?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

It is expensive but maybe not as bad as New York.

Chicago has a lot of museums and dhopping and indoor attractions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,337 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January in Chicago, IL: bearable?

http://www.choosechicago.com/ - for ideas of what to see/do here.