We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Hi folks,

We are driving back home to Vancouver Island from Toronto, leaving Wed Oct 2. We plan to cross the border at Sarnia and drive the freeway.We have visited Chicago before, and enjoyed it thoroughly, but this time we are heading to Yellowstone, and prefer to bypass downtown Chicago.

Could you recommend a hotel close to Hwy 90 easy on/off. Something like a Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Hilton Gardens? We are 3 adults, needing 2 rooms. Perhaps an area with a casual restaurant nearby for supper.

Many thanks

AM

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Schaumburg, IL has what you're looking for. Tons of dining options and the hotel brands you're referring to. Easy access to 90. Check www.hotels.com or similar site.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Route 59 or route 31, both about 10-15 Miles west of Schaumburb on i90, have several options.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 13:13
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Route 59 or route 31, both about 10-15 Miles west of Schaumburg on i90, have several options.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 13:13
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Thanks Dave and Wes... a couple of more questions

1) Would we be better to travel along #80 south of Chicago and stay some where there for the night, then take #39 or even #35 up to # 90...or thru Chicago #90/290 to Schaumburg. I'm thinking traffic hassles.

2) Coming from Sarnia, I was thinking of coming thru Lansing #69 to # 96 to #196 along lake to #94

BCAA suggests #94 south to #96 around Detroit to Ann Arbor to #94

Any thoughts, pros/cons better/faster route?

Will be a full day's drive from Toronto, even gaining an hour.

thanks

AM

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Post in Michigan forum for better info on Michigan.

You won't see Lake Michigan from I-196.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

1. Completely up to you. 80 to 355/53 up to 90 is doable. Avoids Chicago traffic completely.

Don't forget - you'll need to pay tolls - http://www.illinoistollway.com/homepage

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Arlington Heights also... no question Schumburg has lots to offer... just adding Arlington Heights as a shopping option.. any of those areas if you find a bargain with good reviews in that 90/290 area.. we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Arlington heights, ... and tons of amazing options for places to eat...... all around there......

If your looking for most direct route, and Im estimating, with crossing at the border, a 6 to 7 hour commute...but after Flint, your going to be going the same way I do basically, W69 to W94, then 94 to Chicago area, and then one of the above options to your destination. Now I like the Tri State, 294 up to 290 and 90... there are tolls on 294, for sure, but it moves, has many lanes, and if you avoid rush hour, it is certainly not the only, but one I can recommend.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Arlington Heights works, too. Not as many hotel choices, but there's a couple at the Arlington Heights exit off of I90.

Honestly the best thing to do about the route is listen to traffic on AM780 on the 8's and adjust your route depending on what is busy. I90 right through the city is easily the shortest with no traffic. If you hit it mid day, that's probably what I'd do. If you're hitting Chicago closer to rush hour, I usually go 94 west to 294 to 290 to 355/53 north to I90 west. Going further west to I39 is a big detour. It's at least 30 miles longer that way so you're giving up a half hour by doing that.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Think we will take 94W and 80W to 355N to Schaumburg. Have booked in to the Country Inn & Suites.

Will let you know how it goes!

AM

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice re accommodation outside of downtown

One nice thing about the route you are taking is that I 355 between I 80 and I 55 has lighter traffic (compared to the rest of the expressways in Chicagoland). Probably a few more miles but not as stressful.