We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

From what information I can gather an old dirt farmer don't have no business being in this part of town; close to correct? Public transport as to getting there also does not appear very convenient either. It's a pity as I find the history contained within to be fascinating, especially with the connection this one has with the Civil War / Camp Douglas. Any input or others suggestions as to war history (all wars) in Chicago appreciated. Thank you.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

It is a very interesting cemetery, visited it when they did a Great Places and Spaces tour many years ago. But I wouldn't recommend it by public transport. By car, with good instructions during the day is OK but it's not a place to stop and ask directions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,462 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Also agree - skip the cemetery.

You might enjoy - chicagohistory.org/education/…civil-war

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Thanks. Pretty much what I was thinking. Oh well, lots of others to attend to.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Maybe you can try Chicago greeter?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

What do you think, people are just lurking around waiting to jump on you outside of a cemetery? Please. The cemetery is beautiful and not hard to get to. Transportation will drop you a little bit of a walk away from the gates on either Cottage Grove or King Drive at 71st Street. I would take King Drive, as that route has several express buses that stop at every other stop. It would cut down on half of the transport time.

If you decide to go, go in the morning or early afternoon, as the cemetery closes around 3pm. And stop being afraid of people. Gah.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Safety concerns aside, visiting Oak Woods will not be like visiting a National Park. There is no visitor's center, there will be no one to tell you what you are looking at. If the only reason you'd be going down there is to see the sites in conjunction with the civil war, the attached link has all that you will see. It's not a quick journey from downtown Chicago. If you can find a Chicago greeter with an interest in Civil War history, that would be an interesting visit. Just going down and looking at that one site, wouldn't be worth the effort in my estimation.

nps.gov/history/nr/travel/national_cemeterie…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Oak Woods cemetery is not a no no, it's the neighborhood that is a no no. There is no area in Chicago that you cannot go to (during daylight) if you have a reason to go there. This is one such area. As noted, you will be on your own to find the grave markers you are interested in but they are there. Not only Civil War graves (confederate mound)but mafioso Big Jim Colosimo, Enrico Fermi, Richard Loeb (Leopold & Loeb), Jesse Owens, Jake "Greasy Thumb" Guzik and Ida B. Wells, Chicago mayors Woodworth, Thompson, Washington and Sawyer oh, and ex-Senator and all around Chicago politician Roland Burris' family grave touting his accomplishments - but he is still alive so there is no one home at the monument.

The confederate mass graves were moved to Oak Wood from the City Graveyard which became Lincoln Park.

If you go, go only to the cemetery and don't wander outside the 183 acres of the cemetery.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

"And stop being afraid of people." SunshineGirly23 may not be familiar with the word "prudence," but seems comfortable with assuming to have at least some insight into my background. And me, in my ignorance did not realize we had even a rudimentary knowledge of each other.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 12:15
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

Roland Burris' monument is one of the most bizarre, not to mention egotistical things I've ever seen in a cemetery. He even left a spot at the top for future achievements

domu.com/chicago/history-map/the-tomb-of-not…

10. Re: Oak Woods cemetery a no, no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:17