We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

Hi!

I am traveling with 2 years old and have a 20 hrs layover in Chicago. I am looking for a hotel close to O'hare with shuttle that would be kids friendly - has some kind of playground or park next to it, kids pool etc.

We would love to just get to the room, be able to eat and rest there but have an option to go out and play in the hotel or walking distance from it.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,317 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

Rosemont, IL (just outside of ORD) hotels have free shuttles to/from the airport. A playground within walking distance might be a challenge as the area is mostly comprised of office buildings and retail.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

The area is light industry, airport hotels and parking lots. Hotels that have pools will have indoor pools but not kiddie pools. There's not much to do for a toddler in an airport layover hotel situation. Perhaps a hotel downtown would work for you. Something in River North and a visit to the Children's Museum on Navy Pier. There are more public parks downtown. Millennium/Grant park, Gateway Park at Navy Pier, the children's play park behind the Water Tower between Chicago and Pearson (across from Children's Hospital at Northwestern Med campus are within walking distance of most hotels in River North.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

Well, my son gets a lot of treats when we stay in hotels. For instance, I unplug the hotel phone and he gets to play with it. He gets to fool around with the remote. He gets to open and close the bathroom door as much as he wants, he gets to open and close the closet door as much as he wants. He gets to get all the tissue he wants from the bathroom, he can try to open the bar of soap....so.....don't really think you need a playground....

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

The Marriott Suites on River Road is next to the forest preserve, and a large fountain area with bridges, etc., at Higgins and River Road. You can take a look on Google Maps and see if this would interest you.

Another idea would be to stay in the O'Hare Hilton, which is connected to the airport, and if you have the time and energy, take a cab to the center of a nearby suburb like Park Ridge or Des Plaines for a meal and some library or playground time.

There is also a play area, sponsored by the Children's Museum, in the airport.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 21:01
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

weather permitting, a nice park near the airport:

dpparks.org/ParksandFacilities/LakePark.aspx

you can take a cab, or the 250 pace bus to the park, which leaves from the kiss n fly station at ORD:

http://www.pacebus.com/pdf/maps/250map.pdf

i also like the idea of getting to downtown park ridge and walking around.... you might even be able to take in a flick:

http://www.pickwicktheatre.com/

parkridge.us/visiting_park_ridge/visiting.as…

of course, non of this is walking distance from the airport hotel, UNLESS you stay at the raddison o'hare, which is about 3-4 blocks away from lake park:

radisson.com/des-plaines-hotel-il-60018/ilde…

or the extended stay and residence inn is across the road from the park.... the comfort inn is about 1.5 miles away..... downtown park ridge would still be a cab ride away from these places (only a few miles away), but i think it would be worth it to get a bite and walk around........

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

Intercontinental Chicago O'hare - minutes from the airport, has shuttle to/from, restaurants onsite, walking distance to huge shopping mall and entertainment district (with more restaurants, bowling alley and large field in the middle where she can run around).

The Westin Hotel (again, in Rosemont) is right in front of Community Park. This is not a playground park, but it nice for a walk with a pond and bridges. This is a popular wedding photo location. It is still close to the aforementioned places.

7. Re: Chicago O'hare hotel/activities with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 06:22