We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I visit Chicago?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Should I visit Chicago?

Hi.

I am looking to go away for a short break (4 days), and everyone mentions Chicago.

So I am wondering if anyone on here would suggest Chicago as a good destination?

And if so, what are the things/places I should include in a 4 day trip?

All advice would be very useful.

Many Thanks

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,776 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

Please start by looking around www.choosechicago.com for ideas of what to see/do here.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

My brother in Vancouver had recommended Chicago as a great place for a weekend get away - after he was there this spring - so we chose it for a 3 day trip just a week ago (from Calgary.)

We really enjoyed our time there - the city is clean, the people we encountered (at our hotel, on tours, at the restaurants we visited and the transit workers) were friendly and helpful. There is plenty of things to do - depending on your interests. We did a lot of walking, rented bikes to bike a long the lake front path, and really enjoyed the CAF boat tour. We enjoyed some good shopping and some great food - I'd certainly recommend Chicago!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

toronto reminds me a lot of chicago---a middle aged north american city. and like toronto, chicago has a great lakefront.... i always recommend renting bikes and riding the lakefront bike path---it's the best way to get around the lakefront and its attractions.... our climate is similar to yours, so nothing new there..... but, the best time to visit is during the summer, when there are tons of festivals and such going on....

so yes, you should visit chicago

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

Toronto and Chicago have been sister cities for some years now.

Chicago is one of the great cities of the world. Take a look at that website that Dave has given you.

I truly believe that travel not only enhances your life by allowing you to indulge in enjoying your personal interests - but gives you the opportunity to discover NEW interests. As an example, perhaps you've only had the slightest interest in architecture - and here you have a great opportunity to expand that knowledge. Or maybe you'd like the opportunity to discover and experience new regional cuisine, Chicago being a world-class destination for just that.

If you still need convincing, take a few minutes and go to the website for WTTW (one of Chicago's public education television stations). LOTS of information about Chicago - and, specifically, take a look at those about the tours of Geoffrey Baer. Some you can buy and/or watch online. I think you'll find them very informative and entertaining.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

I don't think that you should. Go someplace you know about and enjoy yourself.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

Delimak,the regulars on here are Chicago boosters, so hopefully you know we will say yes! Great museums, architecture, food and music. Peruse the links and ask questions.

Chicago, IL, USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

Chicago and Toronto are often compared (Toronto is on my bucket list) as being similar. I recommend a river architecture tour - I personally like Wendella. There are loads of museums - whether you want a planetarium or aquarium or want to learn more about history, science, art (including modern), our museums are top notch. There is a free zoo and conservatory at Lincoln Park. Navigating Chicago is very easy on public transit. Remember to take the buses, too! If you are coming during warmer weathers, check out our lakefront. Otherwise the beach is still lovely for a cool weather stool.

8. Re: Should I visit Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:18