We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy's State Street

Wilton, Iowa
Level Contributor
156 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Macy's State Street

I'm bringing three of my granddaughters in to see The Nutcracker Sunday, and we are figuring out something to do Monday morning before we drive home.

I fondly remember my parents taking me to Marshall Fields State Street at Christmas time, and then taking my own children, when they were younger. Does Macy's still do the things that made these visit's special? Decorating windows, huge Christmas tree, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

pjpeck

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macy's State Street

Yes they do.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macy's State Street

You can also go to the xmas market at daley center

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macy's State Street

Macy's is nice and the Christkindlmarket, a German Christmas market is just a block away.

examiner.com/article/the-christkindlmarket-b…

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macy's State Street

Go to Christkindlmarket , nut not at lunch hour. You might also enjoy the free 12:15 concerts at the Cultural Center (one block east of Macy's on Randolph). cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_inf… This will put you across the street from the Bean (Real name: Cloudgate) in Millennium Park, which is a great place to run off the last bit of steam before a long drive.

If you are planning to buy something at Macy's, you used to be able to get discounted parking at the garage on the NW corner of Randolph and Wabash - please check because I don't know if this still holds. To get from the garage to Christkindlmarket, you'll walk by the Joffrey studios at Randolph and State - look up to the second floor to see those hard-working dancers!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macy's State Street

also free ice skating at millinnium park

Wilton, Iowa
Level Contributor
156 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macy's State Street

I wasn't aware of the Christkindlmarket, so thanks to those that suggested it!

Also msmejkal, thanks for your suggestion, but there will be no ice skating for this old guy, in Chicago, or anywhere else! :)

pjpeck

7. Re: Macy's State Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:17