We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River North dining options (reasonable)

Vienna
Level Contributor
296 posts
499 reviews
Save Topic
River North dining options (reasonable)

Staying at: Best Western Plus River North, 125 West Ohio

Purpose of trip: sightseeing (my 3rd trip to Chicago)

We had dinner at Weber Grill (will be back) and Fireplace Inn (the latter was okay, still an option).

I always like to check different restaurants. Does anybody know of a place that serves great food at reasonable prices, preferrably within walking distance from hotel? (Except European cuisine)

Thank you very much in advance.

Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,434 reviews
from US$43.68*
Chicago Crime and Mob Bus Tour
398 reviews
from US$37.95*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
580 reviews
from US$24.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
166 reviews
from US$75.00*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

There are seriously about 1000 options fitting your description. There are restaurants of all types in all price ranges. Can you narrow down your preferences a bit?

Edited: 20 December 2013, 22:44
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

Check www.chicagomag.com or www.chicagoreader.com where you can search restaurants by price, neighborhood or cuisine.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

There are as said many options, all better than Weber Grill.

Check the restaurant areas of Hubbard, Kinzie, Illinois and Clark Streets

Diverse, reasonable and non chain

(Although for some reason I kind of like Roka Akor)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,660 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

Weber grill? Seriously? Yuck. How suburban.

There are so many options. You need to look through TAs restaurant reviews. You can sort by neighborhood (River North), cuisine, cost.....Try a Chicago restaurant, not some national chain. Other than that, leave your hotel and turn left. Something will be there.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

I could see the fascination with Weber grill if you are a European. The whole BBQ thing. But OP, you could do better in the BBQ genre than Weber.

Vienna
Level Contributor
296 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

OK. I see. Probably it was only good luck with our first time visit to Weber Grill. Extremely attentive. patient waiter and tasty food.

Here are the narrowed preferences: American (don't know if that is specific enough but AAA-tourbooks states that as type of cuisine), BBQ, Steak, Mexican/Tex-Mex, Restaurants for meat-lovers.

Any neighborhood is fine. After a long day of sightseeing we usually have dinner and then walk back to the hotel. That's why I always try to find something within walking distance.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,083 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

First off - no need to limit yourself to River North and the downtown touristy areas. Public transit and taxis will get you anywhere in the city. If you want the real deal - head out to a neighborhood spot.

BBQ:

http://smoquebbq.com/

http://barnandcompany.com/

http://www.honey1bbq.com/

Mexican - not Tex/Mex:

http://www.nuevoleonrestaurant26.com/

Please type Steakhouse in the search box above. A frequently asked question in this forum.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,660 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

See the sticky in Top Question titled "steakhouses". Use the "restaurant" tab in the top menu bar. You can sort by cuisine (American is a choice), neighborhood and price point. Dave's right; try to get out of River North and get to a restaurant that Chicagoans go to. Look in Lakeview, Southport Corridor, Wrigleyville, Pilsen, Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square, Chinatown (Chop Suey is American), Wicker Park/Bucktown ... Most restaurants have web sites with their menus and transit directions.

Vienna
Level Contributor
296 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

Dave148: I remember you recommended me restaurants for breakfast, and I've been to as many as I was able - all of them excately what I was looking for. It goes without saying that I will check out all of your current recommendations. Your advice is always to the point AND top-notch.

Shallow_shoals: I've overseen the sticky so far. Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I will look at them from now on.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: River North dining options (reasonable)

We really enjoyed Salat Nova Armenian and found it very reasonable.