We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local food choices

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Local food choices

Girls weekend. Staying on E Ohio. One night is tommygunsgarage, one lunch will be a chocolate tour, lol. But the other meals are undecided. I would like to try Frontera Fresco, but not sure it will work with the limited hours, might be lunch the first day if it works out. Would love suggestions. One day will be the zoo (will need all meals this day). Had a great breakfast twice last trip with the husband- can't remember the name, but recommended on here and we loved it. In an old hotel I think, off Michigan- Peterson or something maybe?

I am trying to eat healthy, but I am on vacation so, splurges allowed (chocolate tour). Love local places over chains.

Also, any local things we shouldn't miss? Hate to get back and know I was a block or two from something unique and missed it. We have already done the top museums and plan to use mass transit or walk.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local food choices

I remember your trip report; it had lots of good information. I believe the breakfast restaurant is the Pittsfield Building Cafe at 55 E Washington. Consider RJ Grunts or Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company for lunch when at the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local food choices

that's it! I forgot I did a trip report- I should have read it, lol. I had the "P" part right anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,975 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local food choices

Another breakfast/lunch option - http://www.heavenonseven.com/wabash.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local food choices

If you like local restaurants, I'd suggest getting out of downtown and eating in one of the neighborhoods like Wicker Park or Lincoln Square. There's tons of choices depending on your tastes and budget.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local food choices

Taking the girls to Frontera Fresca on the 7th floor of Macy's State St. may be problematic. How are you going to get them out of that huge department store?

For breakfast in Streeterville http://westeggchicago.com/

Also look at "restaurants" in the top menu bar.

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local food choices

Sayat Nova is on E Ohio, just a block west of Michigan Ave. I really like their combo platters for lunch. Not only are they affordable, (I know I've paid more at the food court), it's a nice way to sample 3 or 4 things I never eat at home and it's light enough you'll still have an appetite for dinner.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local food choices

Stop giving Sayat Nova away to tourists Kathy. I was walking home from Navy Pier last night ( Gypsy is great) and saw Yolk at the corner of Grand Ave and Mc Clurg Ct. I thought of adding it to this posting.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local food choices

Definitely add Eataly to your list. Yolk stinks. West Egg is meh. I'd consider Xoco for breakfast instead.

Near the LP Zoo. Chicago Pizza Oven and Grinders. Cash only. No soda refills. Busy as hell for dinner. Expect a wait. Perennial Virant at the Lincoln Hotel is pretty solid.

Depending on when you're in town, consider a street festival or the CAF boat tour.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local food choices

@sara. The OP was delighted to eat in the Pittsfield building which is a dormitory for Roosevelt and Morris Universities. Yolk is far above that.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local food choices

Eataly just opened and is a chain run by a famous chef from another city. Not exactly a local place.

Sayat Nova is also one of my favorite places near Michigan Ave.. Good food. Not a chain. Not too expensive. Not over-run with tourists. Although we keep recommending it so maybe it will be eventually.