We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago Restaurants

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chicago Restaurants

We are planning on being in Chicago on my husband's 40th birthday. I would like recommendations for an amazing restaurant to surprise him with-preferrably a steakhouse. I'd like somewhere nice (on the pricey side is okay), but also a place where it's common and acceptable to bring children, as we'll have our young kids with us.

We will likely also be attending Blue Man Group that afternoon or evening, so that's something to consider from a location stand point.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,657 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago Restaurants

See the steakhouses sticky in Top Questions of this forum. There are too many to choose from and we all have our favorites. There are 96 steakhouses reviewed here on TA and that doesn't cover them all. It's almost as bad as the dreaded pizza question. Are you staying in town? Your location may help us answer the question with a few suggestions.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago Restaurants

We will likely be staying downtown and then heading to the 4pm Blue Man Group show, so will really probably be closer to that area when heading to dinner, but would be okay with the restaurant being close to the hotel as well.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago Restaurants

There are 100s of "amazing restaurant" options here to choose from. Take a look at www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining options here. You can choose by area, cuisine, budget etc.

Steak options near BMG:

http://www.selectcut.com/

http://www.lastablas.com/

folklorechicago.com/tangosur/index.html

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago Restaurants

I would recommend Las Tablas that Dave linked above. It is a great restaurant and appropriate with children.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago Restaurants

Young kids and Chicago steakhouses do not go together very well. I agree with Las Tablas. I would add The Saloon as it is quieter and yet still has good steaks.

ZB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,657 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago Restaurants

@ZB - I thought that we were keeping The Saloon a secret for those who live here!!! Great suggestion.

@iatwinmom We'd love to tell you a restaurant near your hotel as soon as you tell us your hotel.

Most restaurants are kids friendly but some of the "amazing" ones are stuffy (read: pretentious) and tend to bore youngsters.

Las Tablas on LIncoln is a good suggestion. It's a "Columbian" Steak House. Try the Skirt Steak. You'd have to do a few short cab rides but we all do that.

chicago
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago Restaurants

Also, check with Blue Man because I believe they suggest that the show may not be suitable for younger children. I'm thinking like 6 and younger.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago Restaurants

The Saloon Steakhouse (200 E Chestnut) is closed...their website just says "thanks for the 23 years." Yelp and Zagat's also report it closed, since late January.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago Restaurants

The Blue Man Group is a family show. Not sure what would be inappropriate.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,657 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago Restaurants

Chi-Dave! say is isn't so! It was bad enough loosing The Seneca as a viable alternative for our visitors, now the unpretentious neighborhood steakhouse in the building is gone too. Drat.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 15:19