We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

We haven't used the CTA since the implementation of Ventra cards. Can you still pay cash on a bus or the El? If we pay cash, do we get a transfer so we can take a bus then a train without an additional fare?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,784 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

Details here -

http://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

I don't know how long you will be there, but I got the 3-day Ventra pass and it was so worth it. Even just for the painlessness of getting on the bus...you just swipe your card. Very easy and very affordable.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

CTA stopped issuing transfers to riders who pay cash several years ago. If you pay cash, you must pay the full fare each time you board a bus or train. Turnstiles at rail stations do not accept cash, you must have some type of transit card to board a train.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 16:40
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

I don't think you can pay with cash on the L . You must buy a single-use card ($3) or a Ventra card (train rides are $2.25, buses are $2, and transfers are still 25 cents). Put just enough on it for your visit. If you plan to use the CTA ten or more times in three days, the 3-day pass ($20) is worth it.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 17:01
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

There are Ventra machines at all the el stops so in practice, you can pay cash for the train by stopping at a ventra kiosk in the station and buying a single ride pass.

PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

If I buy a three day pass, must the three days be consecutive? For example could I use it on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday of the same week?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

No, the three days start once you use the card for the first ride, so it's three consecutive days from that point.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,422 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

If you aren't going to use it on the three consecutive days, just put $ on a ventra card and pay as you go.

PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

Thank you. If I'm just going to be in Chicago for four or five days, can I still register a Ventra card so I don't lose the $5 deposit?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ~~ Ventra Card or Pay Cash for CTA?

Yes