We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Chicago to Milwaukee

ALMERIA
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
From Chicago to Milwaukee

I am going to be travelling in the Great Lakes region in August. I am planning to take the train from Chicago to Milwaukee and rent a car in Milwaukee for the rest of my trip.

Is the train the best way to get to Milwaukee? If it's the case, what is the best time to travel. Since seats are available on a first come first served basis, I'd like to avoid having to stand during 90 minutes.

Thank you for your help.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,085 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Chicago to Milwaukee

I highly doubt that you'll have to stand on any Amtrak train to Milwaukee. Take the train that's most convenient for you.

An alternate way to get to Milwaukee - http://www.megabus.com/us/

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Chicago to Milwaukee

"Since seats are available on a first come first served basis"

If your riding Amtrak, there are seats, they always have enough seats for the number of tickets sold, but you don't have a reserved seat. I think that is what is meant about first come first served. It isn't the same as getting on a jet for instance where you have an assigned seat. With the Amtrak, the first person on gets first pick. Like a bus. However if your business class that might be different. I believe business has assigned seats. It wouldn't be safe to have you stand, so feel free to go that way, if you so desire.

Hope that is addressing your concerns properly.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Chicago to Milwaukee

Amtrak is definately the way to go. Just board, head back to the drink car and have good old 90 minute trip. Like previous posters have stated, I have never seen anyone standing on Amtrak and very rarely have I seen an almost full train. My experience has been that if the train is full, they will not sell tickets for it. That has happened to me a few times.

Your alternative is the bus. Megabus just began offering service between those two cities and suposedly you could get $1 tickets if you booked online. However, reviews on this website have been less than stellar as they are frequently not on schedule.

http://www.megabus.com/us/