We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

I am taking my best friend to Chicago for her birthday weekend in August (1-3) & want to make sure it is extra special. We will be staying at the Thompson Chicago and I am taking her to see her favorite band play at Lollapalooza on Saturday. We arrive Friday night around 10pm and fly out at 9pm on Sunday. I know this doesn't allow time to do much of anything but, I would like to show her the best time possible. She likes art, culture & food so any recommendations along those lines would be great or if there is anything we absolutely shouldn't miss.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,557 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Start with www.choosechicago.com for ideas of what to see/do here.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining and entertainment options.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,452 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Food is no problem around The Thompson. Nico Osteria is in the hotel, Gibsons and Hugo's Frog Bar, even The Original Pancake house are across the street. Jellyfish and RA sushi, Carmine's and Rosebud Italian, Le Colonial Vietnamese, Blue Agave Merlot on Maple... In August the Kiosk in Mariano Park will be open for drinks and Gelato. As far as Art & Culture; take a look at the site Dave gave you and also "Things to Do" in both the top menu bar and the Top Questions listing. Getting to Lolla you could take the Rec Line Subway from either the Clark/Division Station or the Chicago/State station to Jackson and walk to Grant Park. In fact, you could walk the whole distance down Michigan Ave in 45 minutes.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Awesome! Thank you Shallow_Shoals for your recommendations. I appreciate it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,452 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Red Line (not Rec Line). Where's spellcheck when I need it?

Williamston...
Level Contributor
831 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

There's a number of art museums in Chicago. First and foremost would be the Art Institute of Chicago. Spend a lot of time there if you can. If it doesn't conflict with her band's show, you could see a live production at a number of theatres on Saturday evening. If she likes some historical displays, there's the Field Museum. Some nice sights are the Cloud Gate sculpture in Millenium Park, Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. An architectural boat tour is popular, too.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

The Art Institute sounds like something she would love! We'll try to squeeze in as much as possible but a picture with the Cloud Gate sculpture is something I don't want to miss. Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,557 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

If you visit the AI - http://www.terzopianochicago.com/ - for lunch or dinner.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

Thank you Dave148, the menu looks great. I think she will enjoy the food & extra time we get to spend at the museum.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,148 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for a weekend in Chicago, please.

The architectural boat tour if it is a nice day is really great. Take the one on the south side of the river run by the local architectural association -- rather than the commercial one on the north side of the river. both are good but the architectural assoc trip is better -- with knowledgeable commentary. it does however not go out into the lake.