We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

We arrived at Union Station on Saturday May 10 with a 7 hour layover. After we dropped off our bags we went for lunch at Giordano’s. Many people have recommended that we go there. It was still crowded when we arrived a little after 2 pm. Yes, we were intimidated by how thick the pizza was. But, it was very good and we did eat most of a small pizza.

Now time to walk it off. We continued down Jackson to the lake. We were passed by a tour of Segway’s. We saw several tours of Segway’s that day. Then on to Buckingham Fountain and the first of many wedding parties taking pictures that day. From there we walked down the lake and on north. It was a warm and sunny day and many people were out.

We walked up to Millennium Park for our pictures with the bean. Then north on Michigan and down the stairs to the River Walk. It was just a great day to be out and walking in down town Chicago.

You do not have to do anything special to enjoy a sunny spring day in Chicago, except to be there. We were lucky enough that we could.

Buckingham Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Centennial Fountain and Water Arc
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Fountains
Vietnam Veterans Fountain
Monuments & Statues, Fountains
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,161 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

Thanks for posting. Come back again when you can spend more time.

Lincolnshire UK
Level Contributor
406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

sounds like you had a great time, now you have me all excited because we will be there in just 19 days cant wait

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

"You do not have to do anything special to enjoy a sunny spring day in Chicago, except to be there. "

Ain't it the truth? I pity the vacationers who plan every minute of their visit. Come to Chicago and just walk around.

Thanks for the report. I hope that you had a good trip on Amtrak. (to NYC?)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

You also proved that you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy your time in Chicago! Thanks for posting.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

So southern Illinois does not have deep dish pizza? Do they have the cracker-crust thin cut into squares (my husband is a Chicago boy, I had a hard time getting used to Chicago pizza).

Enjoying your journey with you so far...

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

I have busy on my train trip back home. Here is a link to my Chicago Pictures:

https:/…2014Chicago

Hi Silvercouple,

There is much to be excited for in visiting Chicago. I hope you have a great time there.

Hi shallow shoals,

It does help to plan, but not down to the minute. And when it is a great day, just enjoy it. Check out my TR on the train forum.

Hi IlliniTrav,

We did not go out of the train station with much of a plan, except to enjoy the spring day.

Hi Warmwinds,

Deep dish is not that common down here. But, I am always up to trying new things.

7. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 15:35
chicago
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

rwdw..glad you had a nice day in Chicago.

Next time you are here and for silvercouple, please go see the Chicago Cultural Center. This is usually makes my top 5 list for friends coming to visit.

First of all, it has the largest Tiffany glass dome in the world.

Second, they have free classical concerts on Mondays and Wednesdays at 12:15. Get there by 12 to get a pretty good seat. The concerts are held under the dome. Just magical.

Once you take in the concert, they usually have various exhibits that you can go view.

On the other side of the building, is another dome. Not a Tiffany, but still beautiful.

Story has it that the city wanted to tear the building down (it used to be the Chicago Public Library) but the first Major Daley's wife fought to save it. Thank God as that would have been a shame!!

Also, all of this is free!!!

Here are some links:

cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_inf…

Enjoy

Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

Cool post! It's reassuring to me as I am bringing my 6yr old son to town in July for 2days. We only have one real goal. ride the L from Wrigley area to Willis Tower & maybe a water taxi. & deep dish pizza!!

But I was browsing topics looking for people who just wondered Chicago as that's what I plan to do. So thanks for confirming that I dont need a plan. Just need to get there!

Side note: anyone familiar with the Brown line from Fullerton into the Loop & back? Is that relatively safe line? We'll be riding on a Sunday Morning. & any tips for water taxis? Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: A Spring Afternoon in Chicago

The Brown line is very safe. You can easily walk to Wrigley from the Belmont Station on the Brown Line if you want to stroll the neighborhood. About 4-5 blocks - walk Clark street

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/