We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road construction delays??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Road construction delays??

I will be traveling from Rockford to Gary, IN Sept. 8 (Friday) and will hit Chicago area about 4-5 PM. Is there any way of getting around construction delays or isn't that bad?? I can imagine on a Friday night it won't be pleasant. Thanks, Jeff

Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,426 reviews
from US$43.68*
Chicago Crime and Mob Bus Tour
392 reviews
from US$37.95*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
578 reviews
from US$24.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
166 reviews
from US$75.00*
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
252 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road construction delays??

All I have to say is GOOD LUCK! Plan extra time for traveling. Traffic can be pretty decent or it might be horrible. You never know sometimes.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road construction delays??

As you approach O'hare - take 294 southbound towards Indiana. You'll give the Governor some extra toll money - but it's a good investment compared to the inbound Kennedy & outbound Dan Ryan on a Friday afternoon.

294 will feed in to 80/94 towards Gary. You'll hit a small bit of construction at the south end of 294 - not big deal compared to the alternative.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road construction delays??

I have never personally done it, but my parents say that route 47 is pretty good. You could use that to get south to I-80. It should come out at Morris. There maybe a few stop signs but it should flow pretty well as a country road. And, it is just far enough outside of Chicago that it doesn't get congested during rush hour.

Have you ever thought about using Public transportation. Once you hit Chicago. Park your car at the extended lot at Ohare and take the Metra into the city and then walk a few blocks east to catch the South Shore Line? Just an idea...or alternative. From Rockford, you might be able to leave your car at one of the stations in Woodstock or Crystal Lake and use Metra. Just and Idea.

4. Re: Road construction delays??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 20:19